Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Currys TV repairs
DarrenW

posted on 3/3/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Currys TV repairs

Im a tad angry, just venting off some frustration.

Bought a 42" Panasonic plasma TV last June from Currys. Its developed a fault (2 fine lines running from top to bottom on the picture). Guy was supposed to come out today to look at it, phoned me and decided he didnt need to. Tech guys office have called to arrange to collect the TV on Friday. They are 'allowed' 28 days to repair it but in the mean time we are left without the TV! No loan, no replacement etc. Im not a happy bunny.

I have a 19" flat screen i can use but wont have the free view (built into the plasma set).

They tell me if i took out the whatever happens warranty they could loan me a set - except they dont have any to loan out anyway!

Ill have to phone Curry's again and see what they can do. I know a freeview box isnt expensive to buy but its a principle thing now.

[Edited on 25/3/08 by DarrenW]

mookaloid

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Bad luck mate - A man and his big telly shouldn't be separated - it's a basic human right for a bloke - I think we all ought to start a petition to have the law changed so that if a mans plasma goes on the blink there should be an emergency loan scheme with a minimum 40" screen size, HD inputs and freeview with Setanta and Playboy tv free subscriptions thrown in for the inconvenience........

errrr I seem to have gone off on one there a bit, still it's a thought

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
OMG a19" screen!! you'll need a magnifying glass

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, I've got a 17" LCD with built in freeview tuner you can borrow if you want.

Mike

joneh

posted on 3/3/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I used to work for Currys and more recently Comet. They can take longer than 28 days if there is a parts delay. My TV from Currys got returned to me after "repair" with a hole blown right through the casing!!!!

The sales of goods act states it must be repaired within a reasonable time and cause minimum interference. Which is down to interpratation.

The Panasonics all had a power fault over xmas. Did you have a red flashing light at the front? If so expect a new TV.

muzchap

posted on 3/3/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,

*SIGH* I had this too with currys! Those TECHGUYS are FREAKING WAYNEKERS !!!

6 week old 50" TV, develops a fault - took 3 visits and 6 weeks to replace it! The sodding morons!

Curry's wont do squat and DONT take any time off work, they wont pay you for it - I took holiday and they claimed I hadn't lost anything - I was like er 3 days holiday - they wouldn't have it...

So make them come on weekends.

GOOD LUCK

M

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

coozer

posted on 3/3/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, Morty's just chucked a 28" wide back telly away!

There's tons of widebacks around for nowt if you can handle the size of them! Check the freecycle on Yahoo for your area.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 3/3/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I gave a 32" wideback in favour of the 42.

Im happy to use the little flatty but being too stingy to go to Asda and buy a box for a few weeks. Mind you judging by Muzzers experience i may need one longer.

Mike - i may take you up on that offer if i dont get fixed up locally, cheers.

I wouldnt care the fault is only slight. If you get up close to the screen you can see the pixels. The line is 2 wide and full height of the screen. When picture is light it looks black, when picture is generally dark the line is blue or green. Hopefully it will just be a dry joint. Knowing my luck it will need a full new circuit board.

The horrid lady i spoke to at Tech guys in Newton Aycliffe said if the repair takes more than 28days i can go into store and demand a new telly - is this correct?

Benzine

posted on 3/3/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 3/3/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad plan Benzine. Iam thinking of not getting a free view set and forcing the kids to do something else instead. My eldest is almost 6 and she is loving books and reading at the moment. Its her new trick.
Unfortunately youngest,3 next week, is a ceebeebies addict already.

westcost1

posted on 3/3/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Currys no worries lol i used to work for them there warrantees are a lode of bollix staff where always getting a bollixing if they didn’t reach targets selling them.
mark chandler

posted on 3/3/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I got a plasma from Curries a few years ago, went wrong after 18 months and had to get trading standards involved quoting sales of goods act to get sorted.

In the end I got a cheque but lost my big TV for three months, the old CRTnormal job salvaged from the loft was horrible...

MkIndy7

posted on 3/3/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Tut... now I know while we always buy another exactly the same..

Swap them in the boxes and return the item you've just bought as faulty and demand a refund!.

rusty nuts

posted on 3/3/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Seem to remember something along the lines that you don't have to have it repaired if it is faulty , you can demand a new one or a refund . If you allow them to repair you have to stick with that item? Things may have changed though?
MikeRJ

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the TV, just spend more time in the garage
DarrenW

posted on 25/3/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Currys have redeemed themselves big time.

The 28th day came up today since the job was booked in. As TV isnt yet repaired they have allowed me to go to the store and choose whatever i like up to the value of original purchase.

Ive got a Samsung 40" LCD this time (didnt get the benefit of the 1080p plasma last time) and a new cooker that i needed for new house but didnt have the cash for.

Im well happy.

I know new TV isnt as good on paper as old one but by the time HD starts to get braodcast in 1080p ill be ready for a new one anyway.

joneh

posted on 25/3/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm shiny. Samsung TV's are very nice, and you'll be pleased to hear they are the easiest to repair. They have a screen, PSU or a PCB and thats it. One of three parts to order if it ever goes wrong!

DarrenW

posted on 25/3/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thats good to hear. Im wondering if i should have got the 1080p version for an extra £100 but ill probs never get the benefit of it. We arent into games consoles etc. TV mainly used to watch the soaps.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.