Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Buggy
Omni

posted on 3/8/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Buggy

Hi All,

Would it be possible to get something like this through the SVA?

http://www.desertkarts.com/desertpanther.ivnu

O

joneh

posted on 3/8/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing that would end up looking simlar to that!

Lights, guards, etc etc

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/8/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote

Something like this, there was a company on the Rame Peninsular, Cornwall who used to make them, I think it was called chynoweth or something similar.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rebelrider

posted on 3/8/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
i've bought one of theseclicky taken the 260cc 2 stroke out and im putting in a cbr1000 should be fun.
im going to change the roll cage too, so it doesnt look so rounded.

Omni

posted on 3/8/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rebelrider
i've bought one of theseclicky taken the 260cc 2 stroke out and im putting in a cbr1000 should be fun.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2BrzcPGn9k

O

tegwin

posted on 3/8/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you built it as a quadricycle it might be a bit easier?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

neilj37

posted on 3/8/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Omni
quote:

Like this?

O

WOW thats stable NOT

worX

posted on 3/8/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Nice and easily driveable then...
quote:
quote:

Like this?

O

Omni

posted on 3/8/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
LMFAO! Interesting hey????

O

mr henderson

posted on 3/8/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Buggies are a thing of particular interest to me. I've always liked the UVA fugitive (the red car picured above) but it's based on VW Beetle parts which is a bad thing in this day and age. The other stuff referred to are basically just childrens' toys.

What is needed is a modern day on/off road vehicle which draws its styling inspirations from the past but which uses modern day donors, has the engine in front of the rear axle and not behind it, and which is a full size vehicle capable of accommodating two adults in comfort, has decent ground clearance and yet is perfectly suitable for a bit of rapid road work.

I've been working on this idea for a couple of years now, and now have the space and facilities to make a protoype buggy kit. I've also recently overcome a couple of minor design snagettes, so I expect I will have an interesting announcement to make on these pages within the next few months.

John

Omni

posted on 3/8/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^

Tell more, sneak preview?

big_wasa

posted on 3/8/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a gpz500 engine to a guy to put in one of them.

Perfect compromise

madrallysport

posted on 3/8/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I put a 400cc honda (old air cooled type) in to this -

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=29122007071%20(Small).jpg

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=29122007072%20(Small).jpg

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=29122007073%20(Small).jpg

Made a gear linkage up to the steering wheel, with a bar and made the whole yoke 8" longer (at the back), its ok but it doesn't turn in very well.

[Edited on 3/8/08 by madrallysport]

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

Alan B

posted on 3/8/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't agree more Mr H

<<<<<<<<

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Omni

posted on 3/8/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I was bidding on this but forgot it was ending..... Look what it went for DOH!!!

Fleabay

I AM WELL GUTTED!!!!!!!!

O

[Edited on 3/8/08 by Omni]

mr henderson

posted on 3/8/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
^^^^^^^^

Tell more, sneak preview?

It's all in my head at the moment I'm afraid. Although Ive already got the donor. Will start on the chassis as soon as the current customer jobs are completed

John

mr henderson

posted on 3/8/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Couldn't agree more Mr H

<<<<<<<<

With which bit in particular?

I was thinking of rather more ground clearance than your attractive looking car, and an integral roll cage, so very much a cross-country capable buggy rather than a sportscar, although well capable of sucking the doors off most production cars on the street.

What mine won't have unlike some sand rail- buggy type vehicles is the long, relatively soft suspension travel, as I want mine to be able to go around corners

John

minitici

posted on 3/8/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know what the legalities of fitting a >15Kw engine into a "Quadricycle" registered vehicle?
Obviously it is no longer a Quadricycle - so can it simply change its taxation class or will it be classed as radically altered and require SVA?

t.j.

posted on 3/8/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
above 15 kW it's a Passengercar (M1)
below it's a vehicle which be tested along the 2/3 wheel-vehicle regulations. (L7e)

What do you think off these

more you'll find here

[Edited on 3/8/08 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Alan B

posted on 3/8/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mr H....particularly this bit is what I agree with.....

"What is needed is a modern day on/off road vehicle which draws its styling inspirations from the past but which uses modern day donors, has the engine in front of the rear axle and not behind it, and which is a full size vehicle capable of accommodating two adults in comfort, has decent ground clearance and yet is perfectly suitable for a bit of rapid road work. "

My interpretation is possibly a little more leaning to sports car than buggy as you say......I think there is going a new market segment..."sports buggies"

Remember, you read it here first..

Even with a bit more ground clearance and elbow room than a seven it will still out perform most production sports cars.

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Couldn't agree more Mr H

<<<<<<<<

With which bit in particular?

I was thinking of rather more ground clearance than your attractive looking car, and an integral roll cage, so very much a cross-country capable buggy rather than a sportscar, although well capable of sucking the doors off most production cars on the street.

What mine won't have unlike some sand rail- buggy type vehicles is the long, relatively soft suspension travel, as I want mine to be able to go around corners

John

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 3/8/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.

What do you think off these

Fine if you never need to take it on the road. All the design compromises are in the off road, landing after taking off direction. I'd be interested to see what happens when something like that tries to take a corner briskly. Good job it's got a roll over cage, I think it's going to need it

John

Fred W B

posted on 3/8/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
When I first starting thinking about building a car I was toying with doing an offroad style car, that would be very capable on road.

A thought I had was to have longish travel soft suspension, but to have a strap on each corner that could be clipped in to limit the bounce travel and drop the ride hight for road work.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Mansfield

posted on 3/8/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with all your ideas Mr Henderson, I have been trying to sketch the very same thing.

I have been looking at sandrail images for months, but have yet to layout a design that fits the practical dimensions I want with the style I want.

I can nearly get there without an engine, but that is not a lot of use. It seems to me a short wheelbase rail (I mean <2600), wont quite look right unless it is about 1 metre high. And that is with 8" ground clearance. I would not fit in that. Putting the engine at the front helps the packaging, but that isn't where it really wants to be for a rail.

I am sure more people are looking at this, but currently I dont know of any rail kits in the UK that I would buy. I am not fond of the Berrien, it looks too short or tall or both or too big at the back or too small at the front for me.

The back of this one is a bit different, I like that.

Description
Description

Description
Description

This one is a lovely simplistic look too.

Description
Description

[Edited on 3/8/08 by Mansfield]

rebelrider

posted on 3/8/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Nice and easily driveable then...
quote:
quote:

Like this?

O

Lol i LOVE that clip theres another good one on there the tube too.
but they both have live axels ive built a chaindriven diff for mine so shouldnt be quite so mental.

macspeedy

posted on 4/8/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
www.dunebuggy.com
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.