Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mondeo 4X4 running gear
matt_baxter

posted on 28/8/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Mondeo 4X4 running gear

Hi I was wondering if some one out there may be able to help me I have been offered the above stuff, it is apparently the complete running gear for a Ford Mondeo 4X4, for a about £400. Is this a good price and is it of any use to me as I was planning on making a simple locost something 7ish from the book (Ron Champion’s), nothing flashy as it is my first major project.

I appreciate that I wont be able to use the lot as I don’t really want the hassle of trying to make a 4X4 locost but the rest of the it, i.e. the gearbox, prop shaft, rear axle, will any of this be good for the car, and easy to use?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance and thanks for looking

Matt

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/8/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
The Mondeo gearbox is for a transverse layout whereas you want a linear gearbox from a Sierra (type 9 or MT75) unless of course you fancy doing an MX5 based kit.

I doubt you will be use little or anything of that donor to be honest (unless its a 2L) but Zetec engines are dirt cheap. If you want to keep it simple then keep it standard (ie Sierra donor or Cortina front uprights with live axle or sierra rear). As for engine then take your pick from many. Pinto, Zetec, Vauxhall VX, Duratec, Toyota 4-age etc etc

Then again you might want a bike engine!!!

[Edited on 28/8/08 by Paul TigerB6]

big_wasa

posted on 28/8/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
way to much money for what you will use.
matt_baxter

posted on 28/8/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks
He has been telling me that some of the stuff that I may not want to use could be sold on ebay for double what he is selling it for, I am getting a feeling that he is telling fibs (putting it politely for little eyes) I just cant help thinking that if that were true he'd be selling it himself.
Thanks again

Matt

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/8/08 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_baxter
He has been telling me that some of the stuff that I may not want to use could be sold on ebay for double what he is selling it for, I am getting a feeling that he is telling fibs (putting it politely for little eyes) I just cant help thinking that if that were true he'd be selling it himself.
Thanks again

Matt

Was just thinking exactly the same - have you looked on ebay for those parts?? I'd expect a Mondeo with an MOT for £400 myself!!

novacaine

posted on 28/8/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
buy a decent sierra for £400, sod the mondeo, more useable parts and people have knowlege of using them (plus the 4x4 mondeo is quite a rare beast (i am lead to believe) so knowlege on them will be harder to come by)

just my opinion of course

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

owelly

posted on 28/8/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
DITTO above!
I turned down a 4x4 Mondeo with 6 months tax and 11mnths MOT for £380

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.