Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any problems using copper pipe/soldered joints in coolant system..?
foes

posted on 24/9/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Any problems using copper pipe/soldered joints in coolant system..?

as the title really, i've used a fair bit of copper pipe, tee's and reducers in my coolant system (mainly because it was free, ha ha) with soldered joints. I know other people have also but wondered if anyone had ever encountered any problems eg. the soldered joint cracking due to vibration etc etc....?

thanks

stuart_g

posted on 24/9/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
My pipes are done this way, no problems so far.
westf27

posted on 24/9/08 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
had one part company from the hose at the weekend.The soldered joint was fine but you dont have that shoulder flange on the pipe that you get with a proper coolant connector.

adithorp

posted on 24/9/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are like that. 2000 miles so far and no problems. I put a stieght connector on the ends for the hoses to grip and not blow off. Others have soldered olives on instead.

I once made coolant pipes to run front to rear on an old Subaru pick up (Suzuki Carry size but rear engine) this way and they lasted 40,000 miles untill it was sold on.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jacko

posted on 24/9/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mine have been like that for 4+ years
and all ok i soldered a olive on the pipe ends were rubber pipes were fitted

jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 24/9/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

had one part company from the hose at the weekend.The soldered joint was fine but you dont have that shoulder flange on the pipe that you get with a proper coolant connector.

My solution for this was to strip some copper wire from twin and earth cable. Wrap it round the copper pie and solder it as well. Have'nt tried it in anger yet but run it up to temp 3 times.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

adam1985

posted on 24/9/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
little trick i use if need to connect a hose to copper is tighten a nut and olive on the pipe then take it of. make sure you can take the nut of too so dont solder the other end. then push the rubber hose over the pipe and olive and dubilee clip this way you have the ridge and the hose will never come off
02GF74

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have short sections of copper pipe reducers to connect V8 manifold to series land rover radiator.

Been on for 3 years (seems like more) and no problems yet; no olives either. Rescued attachment hose3.JPG
Rescued attachment hose3.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.