Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Gearbox
carpmart

posted on 6/10/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Gearbox

Guys

2 questions.

1st, can anyone confirm 100% if blade gearboxes are transferable over the years in the same capacity engines? So, I'm talking about RRT to RRX 919 blades. For example, can i take an RRT gearbox and install it in an RRV?

2nd question, does anyone know of an 'after market' supplier of stronger gearboxes for blades for bec applications? I'm going to call Andy Bates but are there any other options?

Thanks in adavance

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

r1_pete

posted on 6/10/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't bank on it, although all the same capacity engines would appear the same, minor tweaks were made over the years, to improve and correct faults. Thats why parts suppliers will always want chassis / engine No.s.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy B

posted on 6/10/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
blade gearboxes

You can transfer the box for an RRT/RRV (1996/97) into a later RRW/RRX so long as you transfer the selector drum as well
Drum for the T/V is marked MAS
Drum for the W/X is marked MASG
The selector forls are common to both
The clutch basket is different between the 2 but you can swap them and they will fit and work fine.
The only box that you cant swap is the earlier 893 into 919, the clutch shaft is shorter and when you try to fit the earlier clutch you will find the sprung loaded backlash gear is fitted to the basket on an 893 and the crank on a 919 so you end up with a very small contact patch driving the clutch
Hope that helps - if you have any problems give me a call on 01449 736633
regards
Andy
AB Performance

gingerprince

posted on 6/10/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I did lots of digging when repairing my 1993 gearbox. Parts between RRN/RRS changed slightly, so I ended up replacing 2 gears effectively giving me a '95 box.

You can use the fiche at http://www.nielsens.com/fiche_section_detail.asp to cross-reference part numbers between specifics. The RRN-RRS boxes are totally different to the later ones, even down to the gear shafts having different numbers of teeth so nothing is interchangeable.

You can get OEM Honda parts from http://www.lings.com if you have the part numbers. Don't know if you can get "stronger" bits from anywhere, would be quite surprised given the many different variations that Honda made.

Looking at a Spanish PDF I've got of all the models to 97, it does look like the RRT/RRV gearboxes are identical so you should probably be okay there. You'd have to sift through the fiche for the later years to see if they are part-number compatible. ( or you could take Andys advice above, which arrived before I finished doing this post )

Fireblade Gearbox Part Numbers
Fireblade Gearbox Part Numbers

[Edited on 6/10/08 by gingerprince]

carpmart

posted on 7/10/08 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Chaps - thanks for the excellent replies and advice

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.