Board logo

Creating multiple parts all the same?
coozer - 23/4/14 at 06:57 PM

So, we have the tubemitre.exe for notching tubes but I'm looking for a program I can draw the parts out on and print off, stick on the steel and cut out. Looking at this cause there a either 2x this bit or 4x that bit and I would like to draw once, check then cut, all the same..

Any advise?

Steve

Barlidge - 23/4/14 at 07:06 PM

I use Quark Xpress or Adobe Illustrator.

Irony - 23/4/14 at 07:45 PM

Quark is best to be avoided at all costs. In fact I haven't met a quark user in 10 years!

Duncan36 - 23/4/14 at 07:49 PM

Illustrator is ace, although Corel may be easy to get to grips with, if it's for occasional use and for drawing basic shapes

Barlidge - 23/4/14 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Quark is best to be avoided at all costs. In fact I haven't met a quark user in 10 years!

Any reason you say that or personal preference? For quick simple bits it works fine for me, anything else I use Illustrator. I learned both Quark and Illustrator many years ago when I worked for a College so the interfaces are familiar.

bi22le - 23/4/14 at 09:56 PM

If I was making 2D templates I would use draft sight. Its free.

Irony - 24/4/14 at 07:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Barlidge
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Any reason you say that or personal preference? For quick simple bits it works fine for me, anything else I use Illustrator. I learned both Quark and Illustrator many years ago when I worked for a College so the interfaces are familiar.

Well there not really comparable bits of software. Quark is a page layout program best suited for magazine/newspaper layouts and illustrator is a vector image editing program. Quark is best compared to Indesign and I would rather use indesign anyway. Adobe is changing the way it sells its software now and you lease the entire creative suite for £450 for a year. This is pretty cheap. Don't see why businesses will pay more money for Quark when they probably already have Indesign. Part of the business I work for is a large printing studio and all the artwork comes through my office. I literally can't remember when I last received artwork in or created by Quark Express - 5 years maybe.......

mcerd1 - 24/4/14 at 08:33 AM

some of the fancy cad packages like Tekla that we use can do wrap-round templates as an option in the parts drawings
(never used that bit myself but I've seen it done)
but most of these CAD packages aren't cheap

Thailoz - 27/4/14 at 11:20 PM

+ 1 for draftsight its very good I draw what I need and take it to my local laser cutter on a thumbdrive and he cuts them for me.

I print on paper as well

end result from laser cutter (note I re-drilled holes as I made a mistake on my drawings)

Laurence

Davey D - 28/4/14 at 09:18 AM

At work we use a program called "Plate n' sheet" for making wrap around templates for pipework. last week we did a fishmouth in a length of 620mm od stainless pipe to butt upto an 800mm radius curve, and the template was spot on

http://www.plate-n-sheet.com/

you can download an evaluation version to try

Smoking Frog - 28/4/14 at 09:46 AM

I use autocad but free cad software should suit your needs equally well.