Board logo

R1 baffle plate problem?
Gti6boy - 21/12/11 at 08:16 PM

Hi,

After fitting a baffle plate in the sump my oil light is on for around 5mins on idle. As the engine warms up the light go's out

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks

Nick

a4gom - 21/12/11 at 08:23 PM

yes, mine does it.

hobbsy - 21/12/11 at 09:02 PM

It kinda makes sense as when the oil is thick it can't return to the very bottom of the sump as quickly.

I didn't experience this as I chopped off my oil level sensor because I didn't want to cut a massive hole in the baffle plate and weaken it (my original one was poorly made and breaking up).

How much of an overfil are you running?

Gti6boy - 21/12/11 at 10:22 PM

Well I changed the oil filter and had the sump off for a week dripping while waiting for a new sump (speedhump!), and I put 4lts back in

hobbsy - 22/12/11 at 01:48 AM

The recommended overfill is 250ml above the normal level. You may need a bit more depending on which year of engine and if you filled up your filter etc.

Gti6boy - 22/12/11 at 08:17 PM

I think the engine takes 3.8lts dry so just poured the bottle in. Shall i Maybe put some more in then?

Thanks

bassett - 22/12/11 at 10:02 PM

Hi, i have never had any problems with mine even when cold. Do you have that relief tulip fitted? when i was reading about fitting mine a lot of people recommended not to fit it so i didnt and has been fine for over 4k. As others have mentioned overfill when cold by 250ml and i think when i removed the sump and filter i replaced more than 4ltrs of oil.
Adam

Gti6boy - 22/12/11 at 10:54 PM

Is the relief tulip the metal tube in the sump around 100mm long?

I will put a bit more oil in and see how that go's

Thanks