Board logo

Siezed Spax Adjuster Ring
Michael - 8/6/11 at 08:59 PM

I am in the process of cleaning up and painting the shock absorbers on the car.

I have managed to strip down the rears, but the fronts are being stubborn.

I can not turn the adjuster ring and release the spring so need to get a C spanner.

I can not find one that will fit as the ring on mine is 2.5" and the ones i can find are 1.9" and 2.25"

Any ideas?

Thanks

austin man - 8/6/11 at 09:09 PM

if all fails, remove from the car and mount the ring in a vice place a drift or bar through the bottom mounting and turn I would advise a light brush with a wire brush and a spray of WD 40

Michael - 8/6/11 at 09:20 PM

I have done the wire brush and WD40 but the ring seems to be quite weak as i have put grips on them and its cut into them.

i will try again as they have had about 5 days since i WD'd them.

ianclark1275 - 8/6/11 at 09:26 PM

just had same problem,

no c spanner

i used a set of adjustable grips. ( then ground the ends with angle grinder at an angle so they fit like a c spanner)

worked ok.

Dingz - 9/6/11 at 07:27 AM

quote:

1.9" and 2.25"

Are the size of the springs, the id. in inches.

MikeCapon - 9/6/11 at 07:29 AM

First off I would not use a vice to 'hold' the spring seat. You will almost certainly ovalise the spring seat and the shock body. The shock body will probably be less than 2mm thick in this area. Then you will have a real problem getting them apart.

Use the right tool for the job. When you say it's a 2.5" spring seat what do you mean? The spring seat is 2.5" OD or the spring is 2.5" ID?

The 1.9" and 2.25" spanners you have seen are for 1.9" and 2.25" ID springs. The ODs will be around 55mm and 73mm respectively.

If you really have a 2.5" ID spring you can buy C spanners for these. They are cheaper than a new shock....

HTH

Mike

MikeCapon - 9/6/11 at 07:34 AM

If you are dealing with odd sized spring seats this type of tool is useful.

Britool and Facom do them.

[img] spanner
spanner
[/img]

mad-butcher - 9/6/11 at 08:00 AM

Do Spax not have a grub screw in the ring to prevent the ring from backing off as my protech's and gaz shoxs do

tony

David Jenkins - 9/6/11 at 08:37 AM

I was about to ask the same question! (a) is there a grub screw? and (b) has it been loosened?

Michael - 9/6/11 at 12:33 PM

I have measured the outside diameter of the adjustable ring.

I have looked for a grub screw, but i can not see any.

The annoying thing is the rears which looked the worst just unwound with a slight tap round with a punch.