Board logo

WOOHOO I have steering!
sammy - 3/2/08 at 06:49 PM

At last I have got steering.

I spent ages trying to work out the best way to route the steering, either mount the steering column near horizontal so the extension column would miss the engine mount (but would mean the exhaust would be a nightmare to work out); mount the steering at a steeper angle (but then the engine mount would be in the way); or use an additional extension with another UJ.

In the end I cut away part of the engine bracket, and mounted the steering rack so that the UJ was sticking up a bit higher.

I bought quite a few bits from Rally Design; track rod extensions, 2 UJ's (one with the fitment for the sierra column), a column extension which I cut in half and used CDS tube to extend to the correct length, and alloy mounts for the rack.

So cost me a lot more than I was hoping to get the steering in place, but feel happier having used new UJ's etc. Plus I must recommend Rally Design, I ordered via the internet this time and goods arrived very quickly. I previously ordered my coil over shocks from them over the phone and they gave good advice and again quick delivery. Highly recommend them.

God I'm happy!

this_year!! - 3/2/08 at 07:04 PM

Nice one Sammy - this is my next move too...

There are so many variations with this it's hard to get a version your happy with.

Glad you've found yours, you'll have to post your complete work up for all to see...

Rich

speedyxjs - 3/2/08 at 07:05 PM

Cool
Any pics?

sammy - 3/2/08 at 07:47 PM

Will post some pics tomorrow, I started taking some but the batteries died on camera.

Cheers!