Board logo

How to raise the seats
norfolkluego - 29/12/09 at 10:33 PM

Evenin all
Fitted the new fibreglass seat yesterday and there is a problem, erm... I can't really see anything.
OK I'm about 5'-6" not much I can do about that I probably stopped growing about 35 years ago.
When the Cobra's were in there it was fine, I was pretty low down but fthey had nice thick padded seat bottoms and forward visibilty was good, with the fibreglass ones my bum's about 1/2 inch off the floor of the car and I can't really see over the scuttle.
What's the best way of raising the seats, I'm probably looking for 4-5 inches and the solution has to work with seat runners as I share the car with Luegojnr and he's 4 or 5 inches taller than me.

mookaloid - 29/12/09 at 11:03 PM

cushion?

seriously how about a moulded foam insert - which can be removed when your taller co driver uses it?

AdrianH - 29/12/09 at 11:03 PM

Fit a booster pad!

Sorry could not resist.

I would guess a welded frame with 5 inch spacers.

If you just used spacers I think they would end up bending the floor or other parts after a while. Your would need to fit under the seat runners.

Adrian

Dam too slow

[Edited on 29-12-09 by AdrianH]

stevebubs - 30/12/09 at 01:08 AM

plank of lightweight wood under the runners?

Mr Whippy - 30/12/09 at 07:44 AM

nothing fancier than some hardwood under the runners needed

Worzey - 30/12/09 at 09:44 AM

I used a bar of aluminium at the base and some rubber doorstops I got off ebay for £2 for a little extra cushioning.

Seems to work well.

Stuart_B - 30/12/09 at 10:22 AM

i did have 3x1inch box section which seat runners on the bottom of teh box, on my fiberglass seats, but then i grow and that was before the sva, so i put it down to 1inch box section with runners as it was the only way of keeping the runners i needed.

seat runners mount
seat runners mount

seat mounts
seat mounts

cheers

stuart

maartenromijn - 30/12/09 at 01:21 PM

Remember to make it strong enough! When the seats come loose in a accident it will not be pretty.

scutter - 30/12/09 at 01:28 PM

I had this problem changing from roadster 7's to fibreglass shells, i can just about see the top half of my headlamps.

I decided to leave it as when on the move I look down the road not at the nosecone.

Just a thought, Dan.

Angel Acevedo - 30/12/09 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by maartenromijn
Remember to make it strong enough! When the seats come loose in a accident it will not be pretty.

If you are rear-ended, it actually can lead to less injuries as the seat breaking free from the rails absorbs energy provided it has space to move rearwards, in a frontal collision it is not much of a problem as you will be held by the seatbelts, not the seat.

I may be wrong though...