Board logo

Making your own glass fibre moulds info
mr henderson - 28/5/08 at 04:16 PM

Can anyone recommend any books on makng your own buck, or pattern, and making moulds from them. (or better still, any on-line (free) info)

I had a look in Halfords today and couldn't find anything

I've read through Alan's Meerkat build, which was inspiring, but would like to see some other ideas as well

TIA

John

owelly - 28/5/08 at 04:24 PM

A few bits on here http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/methods-mouldmakinglatex.html and http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/methods.html and that's where I buy my stuff from!

[Edited on 28/5/08 by owelly]

BenB - 28/5/08 at 04:45 PM

http://www.zen69595.zen.co.uk/seat.htm

is how my brother did it for a custom carbon seat....

Fred W B - 28/5/08 at 06:11 PM

Best book I've seen is "Competion car composites" by Simon Mcbeath

Cheers

Fred W B

From Hayes website

Competition Car Composites
A practical handbook
By: Simon McBeath

This is a practical and well-illustrated guide to all the main aspects of composite fibre reinforced plastic manufacturing techniques with emphasis on the methods and materials that can be used in the home workshop. It is therefore a valuable source of reference for competition drivers, amateur designers and constructors, as well as those who make, modify or repair components, both for competition cars and road vehicles.
'tries to keep techno-babble to a minimum' Cars & Car Conversions
Hardback, 233 x 169mm, 208 pages, 165 illustrations

ISBN: 9781859606247
Book No: H624
Web price: £19.99
Availability: In Stock

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Fred W B]

mad4x4 - 28/5/08 at 06:46 PM

Migth get some tips from here

http://www.6park.com/enter7/messages/gvk21098.html

mr henderson - 28/5/08 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Best book I've seen is "Competion car composites" by Simon Mcbeath

Cheers

Fred W B

From Hayes website

Competition Car Composites
A practical handbook
By: Simon McBeath

This is a practical and well-illustrated guide to all the main aspects of composite fibre reinforced plastic manufacturing techniques with emphasis on the methods and materials that can be used in the home workshop. It is therefore a valuable source of reference for competition drivers, amateur designers and constructors, as well as those who make, modify or repair components, both for competition cars and road vehicles.
'tries to keep techno-babble to a minimum' Cars & Car Conversions
Hardback, 233 x 169mm, 208 pages, 165 illustrations

ISBN: 9781859606247
Book No: H624
Web price: £19.99
Availability: In Stock

[Edited on 28/5/08 by Fred W B]

Thanks Fred, I've just ordered it

John

sammy - 28/5/08 at 07:07 PM

There is a really good on-line article here: link

The Tiger Avon book has a detailed section on making fibreglass bodywork (just a shame the rest of book is rubbish).

I'm having a go at making a +4 wide (and taller) nosecone at the moment, got the buck made and just put on another coat of PVA release agent tonight; hopefully I'll have the mould done next week! It's a hell of a job; only do it if you really can't get the part off the shelf!

Cheers
Sammy

Avoneer - 28/5/08 at 07:21 PM

Unless you're gonna be making a lot of the same bit, it's a hell of a lot of work just for one offs.

Pat...

Triton - 28/5/08 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Unless you're gonna be making a lot of the same bit, it's a hell of a lot of work just for one offs.

Pat...

I second that... but check out CFS they do some good leaflet things and sell some good books.

Mark

Simon - 28/5/08 at 07:57 PM

I'd also recommend CFS (even though TNT took a week to deliver!!!!!!!) and their site has a lot of useful blurb.

Also have a look at www.locostbuilder.co.uk (Steve Gusterson's build)

ATB

Simon

clairetoo - 28/5/08 at 08:39 PM

I started out buying my resin and stuff at a canoe manufacturer , and just picked their brains for about ten years..............
I allso learnt from experience - I got the hang of what I could get away with , once made a funnybike body (plug,mold and body) in just seven days !
If your going to paint it , the mold just needs to be smooth and fairly shiney - perfect molds are only needed for mass production.......

stevebubs - 28/5/08 at 09:44 PM

seconded on competition car composites...

Also post questions on here...there's a few talented guys around here willing to provide advice.