Board logo

resistors
roadrunner - 31/3/10 at 07:23 PM

Could someone explain to me what "parallel" means when fitting resistors and the difference compared to "in series", i cant get my indicators working right.
Do i need two resistors for each indicator.
Brad.

Miks15 - 31/3/10 at 07:27 PM

Image deleted by owner

The left is in parallel, the right in series

roadrunner - 31/3/10 at 07:32 PM

I have been doing the search and others have been told to fit resistors in parallel, so i do need two resistors per indicator then.
Brad.

blakep82 - 31/3/10 at 07:34 PM

noooo. hang on, i'll do a drawing too

blakep82 - 31/3/10 at 07:38 PM

Description
Description

left is resistor and indicator in parallel

right is in series

the black box is resistor and yellow box is indicator

Miks15 - 31/3/10 at 07:41 PM

Ahh yeh i just realised it was for an indicator.

Basically if you fit a resistor in parallel to it you will reduce the overall resistance in that line so yeh as blakes

roadrunner - 31/3/10 at 07:48 PM

AHH i see, the resistor is acting like a second indicator.
Thanks fellas, i will give it a try.
Brad.

blakep82 - 31/3/10 at 07:52 PM

what is the actual problem with the indicators?

are they flashing too quick? are the indicators LED type ones? are they normal bulbs, but blowing too quick?

roadrunner - 31/3/10 at 07:55 PM

I am swapping from standard lights to led type and the indicators flashed to quickly, but after putting the resistors in parallel they work fine thanks.
Brad.

TigerB6 Paul - 31/3/10 at 07:57 PM

Can you not do the job of fitting LED indicator bulbs (I assume?) by using a direct replacement electronic relay?? ten quid or so on ebay

Should be easy to do the job that way

blakep82 - 31/3/10 at 08:07 PM

Pauls option is what i'm going to do, but if it's worked for you then good times

as i understand it, the resistors will heat up. sometimes they come with big heatsinks on them link which is why i went with LED flasher relay units instead

my thoughts were also, 1 replacement relay, or 2 (maybe 4, maybe 6 depending on how many LED indicators you are planning to fit) its less things to go wrong, and a neater and easier install i think.
something like this should be a straight swap for the usual indicator relay. if you only have 2 LED indicators, it will be upgrade proof too.

just noticed i have a spare word 'the' at the bottom. not idea where it came from, or if i corrected it, so bare that in mind when you read the post

the

[Edited on 31/3/10 by blakep82]

roadrunner - 31/3/10 at 08:16 PM

I had the chance of buying a set brand new for not much money and they came with resistors.

blakep82 - 31/3/10 at 08:21 PM

nice