Board logo

Renault Scenic Coilpacks
Staple balls - 15/1/13 at 12:33 PM

My BiL has just called me having had lost another coilpack on his 55 plate scenic, bringing it up to 4 in 14 months, obviously that's not a great record, the last 2-3 have been on cyl2.

We're starting to wonder if there's an underlying cause that could be killing them, as cyl 2 is the only one that dies.

I'm wondering if there might be a dodgy cable somewhere causing it to go wrong.

Any ideas?

Cheers

britishtrident - 15/1/13 at 12:49 PM

No2 probably gets a tiny bit hotter than the rest, only tip I can give is change the plugs if you change the coil packs and reduce the spark plug gaps by about 10%

Davegtst - 15/1/13 at 12:50 PM

Has he changed the plugs aswell? I used to fit these under waranty for Renault and at first we had to change all 4 coilpacks and all plugs for a modified version. Later on i guess they realised it was getting a bit expensive so we were told to fit just the coils that were not working and all plugs.

MikeRJ - 15/1/13 at 01:00 PM

As said a duff spark plug could easily hasten the demise of a coil pack by requiring higher voltages to fire.

big-vee-twin - 15/1/13 at 02:04 PM

Unfortunately, in plain language the coil packs are sh1te and are a common problem, well known to Renault and everyone who drives them.

I had a Megane 230 F1 Team R26 and it used to eat them. I used to carry spare coils in the boot because it was always happening.

Equivalent versions made by alternative manufacturers were no better either.

The other issue I had was poor fuel injectors.

[Edited on 15/1/13 by big-vee-twin]

ernie - 15/1/13 at 07:03 PM

As above; on the wifes Clio

Staple balls - 15/1/13 at 08:43 PM

Cheers all, I thought as much re the coils, they just seem crap.

We did new plugs last time, so that didn't help much, might try the gap thing.