Board logo

Wiring car engine from scratch
corrado vr6 - 29/6/14 at 12:53 PM

Hi there,
I have a Suzuki sj413, however I'm putting a jago body on, I've started to look at the wiring and the original loom has been chopped about so much I've decided to start from scratch.

I have drawn up a diagram of how I have got the engine to run which works great the starting wiring is shown below on the left.

Now with the way I have set this up the battery won't be getting charged so I have looked on google and I think I have an idea of how to sort the charging wiring to the alternator

Is there anything wrong with how I'm going about it? Or a better way maybe?

Obviously I know I gauges and lighting etc to sort

PLEASE NOTICE where I have written starter motor for the diagram on the right it should say alternator

[Edited on 29/6/14 by corrado vr6]

trextr7monkey - 29/6/14 at 07:22 PM

Hi again great to see rtgis one progressing as you have prob guessed others hve trodden a very similar route in the past. If you have lots of time and patience your current approach willget tgere- we bought a mini Scamp that had bEen wired one circuit at a time using choc block connectors and it all. Worked fine, if you want to speed things up there are vaarious schematics around to follow- standard car circuits layout on Westfield forum somewhere as we printed it off once and hung A copy on garage wall when my lad was small so he could get an idea why we needed so many wires. Also a fellow called snowy from Dutton Owners Xlub ( comes on here from time to time) also has a we site and diagram for a basic car system.hth
Mike

Thailoz - 29/6/14 at 09:44 PM

I am no expert but think you may need to add a relay between your start switch and starter motor as DC current will burn the switch out in no time.

blakep82 - 29/6/14 at 10:16 PM

That would allow the starter to turn the engine, even with the ignition turned off, I think youd be better to take the starter feed from the ignition switch/kill switch, so when thats off nothing works.

You also appear to have all your switched positives connected to the battery negative

corrado vr6 - 29/6/14 at 10:38 PM

Ah thanks all, I had forgotten about a starter relay so thanks for that

That's a great suggestion about taking the starter feed from the kill switch, thanks!

Whoops that'll teach me not to drink and draw diagrams the next morning hopefully I wire them to the positive when doing this lol