Board logo

Men's Hobbies
matt.c - 6/8/11 at 09:38 PM

I have had a few hobbies over the years:

Custom cars, ICE etc
Fishing
Kit Car
Karting

Now i have a couple of kids, time has started to a big issue and now it affecting what i do for a hobby. The karting is starting to take up way too much time, getting the kart ready the week before, racing weekend and dismantle the week after etc.

Its just getting a bit much when the only time i get to do work on it is after 9pm at night.

Trouble is what do i do next? Have i got actually got the time for a "real hobby" or would it be better to have toys as such and have more than one?

Really still like to tinker with stuff and i think it would need some sort of engine to satisfy me.

What do you lot think? Anyone else been in this situation?

RichardK - 6/8/11 at 09:53 PM

Yeh, I'm learning to tig ali when I have time and the money for argon!

Cheers

Rich

big_wasa - 6/8/11 at 09:57 PM

I know what you mean.

My 11yo lad wants us to restore a mini.

StevieB - 6/8/11 at 09:58 PM

Get the kids into karting and make a family hobby of it?

matt.c - 6/8/11 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

1 is 3 and the other is 3 months old lol

matt.c - 6/8/11 at 10:03 PM

Im thinking about RC toys, cars planes and helicopters

Kwik - 6/8/11 at 10:04 PM

thats only about a year younger than hamilton is

how about exotic fish?

carlknight1982 - 6/8/11 at 10:10 PM

rc helicopters can get expensive lol trust me

try something like an mcx2 from eflite first indoors, great fun

matt.c - 6/8/11 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
thats only about a year younger than hamilton is

how about exotic fish?

Done the fish tanks for many years when i was younger.

coozer - 6/8/11 at 10:14 PM

I've had a few hobbys....

Start off a family with 2 kids... not my fancy so I packed it in.. (came back later and bite me...)

New wife... happy times

So, RC IC cars...

Bikes...

Kits... Striker, then MNR, now Jago

And, all over that that music.. metal. Metallica..and AC/DC Pink Floyd, Led Zep.. Rage, ETC ETC

Driving buses and trucks, starting off at London Transport in the 80's EAC RM's.. Oooo yes...

Not sure whats next... lets see if I can get the numbers up...

If so, its Legend Racing

coozer - 6/8/11 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I've had a few hobbys....

Start off a family with 2 kids... not my fancy so I packed it in.. (came back later and bite me...)

New wife... happy times

So, RC IC cars...

Bikes...

Kits... Striker, then MNR, now Jago

And, all over that that music.. metal. Metallica..and AC/DC Pink Floyd, Led Zep.. Rage, ETC ETC

Driving buses and trucks, starting off at London Transport in the 80's EAC RM's.. Oooo yes...

Not sure whats next... lets see if I can get the numbers up...

If so, its Legend Racing

And to add, sitting up all night every 4 years to see England whack/get wackked Australia in the Ashes.

evonigel - 6/8/11 at 10:33 PM

try a round of golf
trust me it's addictive

coozer - 6/8/11 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by evonigel
try a round of golf
trust me it's addictive

You have to be joking.. right?

Only one way for golf...

RickRick - 6/8/11 at 11:10 PM

Rc cars! good way to get the kids into racing, and learning how cars work, ic is smelly and noisey, electric is faster cleaner, maybe slightly higher inital cost, but cheaper to run once setup, i've always been tempted by rc planes, heli's or boats, but always been put off by the what if it goes wrong bit, cars drive into something, maybe break a few bits, planes disapper, heli's smash them selfs to bits, and boats sink

Simon - 7/8/11 at 12:34 AM

Playing with cars and m/c's, then tried a bit of model aircraft - scratch builds from plans, microlighting (ran out of money!!), bit of swimming, and now (for the last couple of years) into me mountain bike, and loving every time I get out on it (and the wife/boys can do it too.

ATB

Simon

Steve Hignett - 7/8/11 at 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Anyone else been in this situation?

Yep, I feel totally lost in what to do if I ever get a bit of selfish time. Having said that it is so infrequent nowadays, that I don't think I'd ever have the chance to really get into a decent hobby!

I've done RC cars and Heli's - Obv kitcars inc scratch builds - and a whole heap of other stuff that men of our age do.

My next project (which I acquired the first part of today - Thanks Adithorp!), is going to be a Bamboo and carbon fibre bike

I'll let you know how I get on, as it seems like quite a cool project based on the small amount I've researched it!

Steve

morcus - 7/8/11 at 06:20 AM

I second a vote for model making. It truely is addictive and you can do most stuff at anytime of day. My work/home situation means I've got very little time or space to do propper hobbies but I still enjoy model making.

probablyleon - 7/8/11 at 07:01 AM

I blame the Americans and more specifically, Californians. Until Hollywood started painting pictures of the 'perfect' super-blokes that could wrestle bears, detain a small group of terrorists and then lactate; never happier than when spending some 'quality time' with the wife and kids, hours in the park etc etc. This is getting out of hand and needs to stop. I noticed 'real life' Americans beginning to talk about enjoying spending time at the park with their kids 20 years ago, and it didn't take long before the UK went down with the same epidemic. The park is boring! There, I've said it.

Keep your hobbies (especially the karting, that looks fun) and explain to your wife that your a bloke and need your blokey pursuits.

Let me know how it goes, I may even try it myself one day

swanny - 7/8/11 at 07:59 AM

"husbands either have hobbies or affairs"
i mention that occasionally to wifey :-)

what about building a toylander/tot tod for the kids?

David Jenkins - 7/8/11 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
Rc cars! good way to get the kids into racing, and learning how cars work, ic is smelly and noisey, electric is faster cleaner, maybe slightly higher inital cost, but cheaper to run once setup, i've always been tempted by rc planes, heli's or boats, but always been put off by the what if it goes wrong bit, cars drive into something, maybe break a few bits, planes disapper, heli's smash them selfs to bits, and boats sink

I quite fancy making one of those tricopters - they seem to be much easier to control than conventional helicopters (but that may be due to the fact that the only ones I've seen have been flown by experts!) and would be far cheaper to repair in the event of a crash - e.g. they buy their rotors in packs of 10, and quite a lot of each tricopter seems quite robust.

tony-devon - 7/8/11 at 09:20 AM

Ive pretty much gone all the circuit LOL

did formula blue Karting, but after a car accident, my Dr wouldnt sign my sheet off for karting due to back problems, GIT

Ive raced Rc cars, bikes and boats, at all levels, local, national and international, 1/5th touring was the best, but £5k RC model cars got a bit expensive LOL

played golf, but back and shoulder made it a bit of a chore

for the last few years I have been shooting, clays, and many different forms of target with rifles etc

davestarck - 7/8/11 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Im thinking about RC toys, cars planes and helicopters

I have 2 1/8th scale off road nitro buggies with loads of spare parts if your interested. Not used for ages so sitting in the shed

Steve Hignett - 7/8/11 at 10:47 AM

Hey Matt,

Have you thought about KiteBoarding (on land) and/or KiteSurfing?

Once initial costs are paid out, then there's very little extra outlay apart from a bit of travelling maybe.
And I don't think intial costs are that extreme nowadays. In fact, the making of a buggy, to accompany the landboards, could be a cool project all on it's own!

I think Kites are cool for people of all ages, so in a couple years, it would be relatively easy to ontegrate your kids and maybe even your missus into Kiting with parts of your existing gear etc...

Nash - 7/8/11 at 05:29 PM

Matt, I feel your pain. I am further down the road then you and have done the whole motorsport thing. F2 BRISCA stock cars and went to karting when the family came along. Even Rotax MAX endurance racing becomes to expensive when the kids are small.

I love petrol and all things associated and I also love photography and video. So I did a "Bundle" and started photographing and videoing events and was lucky enough to make money at it. That got me though the lean years and allowed me to stay involved.

I'm now out the other side and have the Indy bit still do the photography and video for pleasure mostly. Life is a balance and sometimes you have to compromise but if you are smart you can find a win win.

Worked for me. Hope that helps.

........ Neil

HowardB - 7/8/11 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Hey Matt,

Have you thought about KiteBoarding (on land) and/or KiteSurfing?

Once initial costs are paid out, then there's very little extra outlay apart from a bit of travelling maybe.
And I don't think intial costs are that extreme nowadays. In fact, the making of a buggy, to accompany the landboards, could be a cool project all on it's own!

I think Kites are cool for people of all ages, so in a couple years, it would be relatively easy to ontegrate your kids and maybe even your missus into Kiting with parts of your existing gear etc...

ooo yes kite buggy,.. great fun, can be more exciting than skydive and that is saying something,... it's not toooooo expensive really either

StevieB - 7/8/11 at 06:19 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

1 is 3 and the other is 3 months old lol

My lads just turned 4 and I want to get him into karting (he wants to have a go himself too, from the amount of times he's asked to have a go in the racing cars - particularly vettels red bull, which I'll need to oull more than a few strings to get them to let him have a go ). I figured the best way would be to go racing myself and then he'll continue onwards from there when he's old enough (plus I'll learn the ropes about the whole thing myself).

I was thinking of starting with Honda Pro-karts

Agriv8 - 9/8/11 at 06:40 AM

for kids to make it in carting you need to be small and light but strong especially if you are going to be competative up the ranks IMHO.

I have a 4 ( tomorow ) and 6 month old the MNR has not been touched for 2 yeas apart from tuning the engine over every couple of motnhs.

Think I am going to build a toylander or a baby MNR 7.

regards

Agriv8

balidey - 9/8/11 at 07:57 AM

My hobby used to be archery, but family came along so I sold all my gear. But I'm seriously tempted to get back into it again. Its an easy sport to get into, you can take it as far as your ability wants. Technical / engineering side of the sport is interesting, which really appeals to me and I guess most others on this site.

And as many others above, I have been into RC cars, model making. Just got myself an RC helo, but am seriously tempted to make my own tri or quadcopter. Really cool project to build (one hobby) and then fly (another hobby).

Most are cheaper than beer and fags.

Davey D - 9/8/11 at 09:19 AM

How about mountain biking? there are some great locations around the UK. it keeps you fit, and gets you outside in the fresh air.

Every other weekend i go to either the Peak district, or North york moors, then in the week i cycle to/from work a couple of times. Its a good excuse to get all blathered in mud like we did as kids

edsco - 9/8/11 at 09:37 AM

Stamp collecting....just a thought! ;-)

quinnj3 - 9/8/11 at 12:02 PM

Beware of the radio controlled model stuff especially the nitro powered heli's. Very addictive and very expensive. On thursday past my £800 heli's receiver crystal fell out whilst I was hovering very low to the ground. It turned around and came at me and my dad full pelt. Luckily we were able to jump out of the way as it smashed into a tree. Parts repair total to just under £100. The fuel is also around £20-25 a gallon and gets burned up very quick.

Forgot to say, for me at least, its a very enjoyable hobby, very tricky to fly compared to 'planes. I just don't get to spend enough time and money on it due to building a house which now needs furnished.

Liam - 9/8/11 at 12:35 PM

[nerd]

http://technic.lego.com/en-us/Products/8110.aspx

[/nerd]

[richer nerd]

http://www.amazon.co.uk /Lego-10030-Imperial-Star-Destroyer/dp/B0009F3DXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312893279&sr=8-1

[/richer nerd]

tompat3463 - 9/8/11 at 01:41 PM

got this for sale if ur interested...

HPi savage 21...

carbon firbre chassis plates

2 gears
reverse gear.
Niro powered very fast and very reliable... still in origional box...

runs fine and starts easily.

Description
Description

Description
Description

yours for £130 delivered

cheers Alan

[Edited on 9/8/11 by tompat3463]

[Edited on 9/8/11 by tompat3463]

matt.c - 9/8/11 at 06:10 PM

I think im going to go the RC direction. Im thinking of getting a car, plane and a helicopter.

I would like to build the plane instead of buying a ready to fly one. Dont know really where to start as i have never flown one before. Are some planes easier to fly that others? Can you get a plane for a beginner?

Im also going to buy one of those small helicopters to learn. And with the RC car i will end up with a off road 2 wheel drive nitro one just to satisfy my need for engines and smelly fuel.

Need to sell the karting gear before i buy the RC stuff.

If i get bored with the RC toys i will go to plan B which is restore and customise a scooter

907 - 9/8/11 at 07:15 PM

quote:

I would like to build the plane instead of buying a ready to fly one. Dont know really where to start as i have never flown one before. Are some planes easier to fly that others? Can you get a plane for a beginner?

Hi Matt,

You most certainly can.

They come under the "High Wing Trainer" category.

Because the wing is on the top, and the wing tips are higher than the wing center, (called dihedral)
they tend to hang in the sky with minimal input from the pilot.

The other thing you could try is a sim. I have a Phoenix.
This is a risk free method of learning to fly on the computer.

Also if you look up the BMFA website it lists all the local clubs. Most do beginners courses.

HTH
Paul G

Edit to add:-
Inwood is a good shop. Their prices are hard to beat.
Typical starter plane link
http://www.inwoodmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=782&osCsid=883de333fcl87253d817318bd1963c2e
You would also need glo plug lead, starter & battery, fuel, etc.

[Edited on 10/8/11 by 907]