FuryRebuild - 10/11/13 at 11:37 AM

I declare this to be the most random post of the week

v8kid - 10/11/13 at 01:06 PM

If I put my mind to it I reckon I could get a locost connection - eventually

TimEllershaw - 11/11/13 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
If I put my mind to it I reckon I could get a locost connection - eventually

Shame they are not Ash saplings, it could be a grow your own Morgan replica kit.

[Edited on 11/11/2013 by TimEllershaw]

nick205 - 11/11/13 at 10:00 AM

Intrigued....what did you have in mind when you planted them?

Could they be used for fuel?

Peteff - 11/11/13 at 10:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Intrigued....what did you have in mind when you planted them?

Could they be used for fuel?

Not in a car I posted a link on arbtalk, they grow pretty quickly if someone wanted a field boundary with a view to future firewood.

v8kid - 11/11/13 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for the link Peteff.

The story is I bought a 6 acre field next to my house only to discover that it would cost more to replace the choked field drains than I paid for the field (:

So I thought I could plant trees on the swampy part. Initially the plan was for firewood to make us self-sustaining for heating but I got sucked into the ecology stuff.

Anyhow I formed a community group and hence qualified for free tree packs from the Woodlands Trust. So far we have planted 1500 trees and I reckon another 250 willows (coppiced) will fill all the swampy areas. A mixture of hardwood, food (berry & nuts), firewood and shelter trees.

As an aside I also discovered after I bought the field that there was a transmission gas pipeline under it with planting restrictions - plus the 11kv overhead line has similar planting restrictions - rats!

So it is mixed use field with trees and hedges planted round the perimeter, in wet areas and corners.

I plan to plant a wildflower meadow if I can get seeds at a reasonable price - they cost more than gold !!!!

Back to the free trees. They are surplus to my planting plan and were free from the woodland trust so I do not want to see them wasted.

At present I have not fertilized for the last 2 years in prep for the wildflowers and the silage yield has increased -blessed if I can work that one out BTW I give the silage to the local farmer for free and in return his son in law lends me his JCB (to construct scrapes for creepy crawlies) - barter is wonderful!

Cheers!