Board logo

Pinto stem seals
gregs - 4/4/09 at 08:53 PM

All - following on from yesterday's disaster at the RR, took the head off this evening, and what do you know, valve stem seal moving up and down with the valve on cyl 2... have pushed it back into position with a couple of lollipop sticks through the spring - do you think it is likely to pop off again, or should I replace it while the head is off? only complication with replacement is it is a 'special' high lift seal so might not be the easiest to get hold of.

Have looked at the bores and nothing looks odd, so am hoping the stem seal is the only issue...(backed up by yesterday's comp test).

nitram38 - 4/4/09 at 08:56 PM

If you've got the head off, change it.
You'll wish you had if it comes off again.

omega0684 - 4/4/09 at 09:01 PM

^ Agreed !

gregs - 4/4/09 at 09:19 PM

yep - your right, should do it properly while the head is off..... will try and sort a replacement seal this week. On the bright side, I don't need a new engine!

Memphis Twin - 4/4/09 at 09:28 PM

Superglue!!

A few years ago I had the same problem, and was told by a well-known and respected professional race engine builder that he superglues them on!

nitram38 - 5/4/09 at 03:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Memphis Twin
Superglue!!

A few years ago I had the same problem, and was told by a well-known and respected professional race engine builder that he superglues them on!

Good idea, but I would glue a new one on.
Apart from the oil which may not help, the spring on the rubber might be damaged where it has been bounching up and down and might not form a seal.

gregs - 5/4/09 at 07:22 AM

good idea with the glue. I have just ordered a new set of seals, bolts and head gasket set next....

Thanks for your help everyone.