Board logo

Chrome look plastic - Painting engine
speedyxjs - 1/3/10 at 08:27 AM

I want to paint the engine on the Jag and have sort of decided on the colours.

There is a plastic cover to the fuel rail and one for the coils in the centre of the rocker cover and i would like these to have a polished metal or chrome look but i dont know if this is possible as they are plastic.

I have seen some chrome paint around (halfords, B&Q etc) is this any good?

Also, do i need high temp engine paint to paint the rest of the rocker cover?

tigerzetec - 1/3/10 at 09:47 AM

Ive used plasticote on my ally cam cover. Paint is spec'd to 150 deg. Gives a really good finish as well. Although, a word of warning............It takes a long time to cure. I thought mine was ok after 2 weeks, felt ok etc, but after placing the cam cover on a plastic bag (paint side down) whilst i was working on somethng else, I was horrified to find indentations all over it. So i had to strip it and start again. I was wiser the 2nd time. After the engine had been hot a few times, this baked it nicely.

tigerzetec - 1/3/10 at 10:03 AM

Heres a Piccy Rescued attachment Avatar 8x6.jpg
Rescued attachment Avatar 8x6.jpg

thunderace - 1/3/10 at 11:08 AM

please let me know how you get on i have tryed and has always not worked for me ,turned out looking very bad abd gray.

Daddylonglegs - 1/3/10 at 12:55 PM

I'm with the Plasticote chrome spray too.

Used it on my Pinto rocker cover (after that poor man's Chrome finish ) and I'm quite pleased with it. Only thing I've been told is that if you use a white/light grey primer, it gives a better chrome effect (which I did - grey).

HTH,

JB

speedyxjs - 1/3/10 at 06:42 PM

This is what i want to do but where it is black would be chrome or silver. Not sure how to do silver or chrome in paint shop pro.

Before:

Jag engine bay
Jag engine bay

After:

Jag painted engine bay?
Jag painted engine bay?

tigerzetec - 1/3/10 at 09:20 PM

Not being funny, but i think it looks fine as it is. It doesn't look rough or anything in the photo, why the changes ?

speedyxjs - 2/3/10 at 07:16 AM

I want something different to show at the London to Brighton Jag run

I was going to take the locost but that isnt going to be finished plus i think its a bit plain as it is

tigerzetec - 2/3/10 at 08:50 AM

Fair enough, although if it was my car and i wanted to change something like that on a smart car like yours, I don't think i would be doing it myself out of a can. I would have the chrome plated on and the paint work professionally done so that the finish was A1. Bit different with a Kit Car, you can get away with plasticote paint, unless it was £20k + worth of cobra or something in that league..........

speedyxjs - 3/3/10 at 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the comments. Iv had another play with colours and quite like the look of the black bits (in the pic) alloy wheel silver so i think im going to go with that. Il post piccys up when im finished.