Board logo

hi black top questions
whitstella - 23/8/12 at 01:22 PM

hi

just brought a new 2.0l zetec black top and was wondering what add ons do i need, ive been told i need a alternator kit???? can any body shed some light on the job for me thanks??

steve

femster87 - 23/8/12 at 01:53 PM

I would assume its going into a kit car. Whilst I am no expert this was what I needed to install one in my kit

1) Lowered Sump for better clearance - suppliers are raceline, retroford, Tiger racing, Dunnell
2) Alternator kit - this would be car specific depending on how much space you have and where you can fit it.
3) Water rail - I did not have much clearance at the back of the engine so the water rail was required. you can DIY this.
4) Induction system - Carbs, throtthle bodies, Plenum the choice is really yours (depends on how much you want to spend)
5) ECU - to run the engine
6) Engine mount

This is what I can think of at the moment

loggyboy - 23/8/12 at 02:02 PM

By no means a cheap way of doing it:

http://www.raceline.co.uk/products/part_section.asp?SectionID=38&CategoryID=2

slightly cheaper:
http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/content/zetec-alternator-kit-%E2%80%93-black-top-z022

but a google image search can also reveal some options

This is something I will be looking at over the coming months too.

[Edited on 23-8-12 by loggyboy]

ChrisL - 23/8/12 at 08:46 PM

I get the retroford water pump idler pulley, to turn the water pump the correct way. I think it comes as part of the alternator kit,
Also Strontiumdog did a great job on shortened the sump

Bizarro - 24/8/12 at 11:09 AM

If its going in an Indy you will probably need to modify oil filter as there is not enough room to clear steering column.

whitestu - 24/8/12 at 12:09 PM

quote:

If its going in an Indy you will probably need to modify oil filter as there is not enough room to clear steering column.

An Renault 5 filter fits and works fine. Some will they they can come off as thread is different but I've run one for years with no issues.

Stu