Board logo

fuel pump for bike carbs?
J222jra - 19/4/13 at 01:32 PM

So im progressing slowly....ive bought a 1660 xflow engine from a member of the forum, ordered bike carb conversion from Danst engineering im not just buying all the little bits.

Im now looking at fuel pumps.....i want to run a facet pump but need to know what kind of flow rate i will need. I was thinking this one....what do you guys think.

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/fuel-pumps/facet-interrupter-electronic-fuel-pump

The silver top road pump gives 4-4.5 psi and upto 150bhp...is that enough or do i go for the next one in the scale which gives 5-6psi and upto 200bhp? I will be using a fuel pressure regulator aswell just to make that clear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

coozer - 19/4/13 at 01:42 PM

Get the pump of the same bike as the carbs.

What carbs you using?

J222jra - 19/4/13 at 01:57 PM

Id rather a brand new pump to be honest and facet pumps are very reliable and reasonably priced.

minitici - 19/4/13 at 02:03 PM

As others have said - use a bike pump (for carbs) They run low pressure (1.5 to 3 psi approx).
Low pressure fuel regulators are tools of the Devil!
Anytime I find a carb run car not fuelling correctly it is invariably due to a rubbish regulator.

nickm - 19/4/13 at 02:14 PM

Hi
I would agree with the others the ideal is the pump and the carbs from the original bike. Sure my old bike carb fuelling pressure was 2.5-3.0 Psi and that was to fuel/feed a 2.0l silvertop.
An inline gauge is handy as well.

Nick M

whitestu - 19/4/13 at 02:33 PM

Bike pumps are cheap and very reliable and will work best with bike carbs.

stu

mikeb - 19/4/13 at 02:35 PM

i bought one of the solid state facet style cube pumps. think its upto 3.5 psi.
I haven't ran the engine in anger yet but seemed to be doing the job at ticker over.

Bike pumps are quite expensive even from breakers for 2nd hand one.

J222jra - 19/4/13 at 02:59 PM

So if i buy a zx6r fuel pump will i not need to run a fuel pressure regulator?

whitestu - 19/4/13 at 03:03 PM

quote:

So if i buy a zx6r fuel pump will i not need to run a fuel pressure regulator?

That's right - all it needs is 12v and a fuel supply.

Stu

J222jra - 19/4/13 at 03:27 PM

Well thats certainly good news as a good regulator is £150+

Would i still be best fitting wiring it to the oil pressure switch as ive seen mentioned on here?

kipper - 19/4/13 at 03:39 PM

I have been running zx9 carbs on my crossflow for 3 years now with the zx9 pump with no problems.
Regards Denis.

J222jra - 19/4/13 at 03:44 PM

I must say this is the most helpful forum ive ever joined.

I really appreciate all of your input guys.

James

ryanill - 19/4/13 at 03:51 PM

lilltle bit late here but ill say i agree with everyone. definatly get the matching bike pump. and mount it near the tank itself. solved all my problems

J222jra - 19/4/13 at 03:56 PM

Would it be a problem fitting the pump in the engine bay?

maccmike - 19/4/13 at 04:23 PM

no thir a doddle, small and weigh nothing. cables ties or hose clamp will do it

big_wasa - 19/4/13 at 05:03 PM

If you want brand spanking new and you want to mount it in the engine bay and you don't want a regulator Then the Huco pump sold by webcon for dcoe carbs is just the job.

New, 120L/H and only 1.5psi

eBay Item

myke pocock - 19/4/13 at 05:44 PM

I use a Facet pump running through a Filter King with a pressure guage to get it just right.

whitestu - 19/4/13 at 05:49 PM

If fitting a bike pump put it at the back under the tank. It will work better.

Stu

dave_424 - 19/4/13 at 06:09 PM

Got a ZX9 fuel pump for sale, let me know if you are interested

Dave

J222jra - 19/4/13 at 08:12 PM

Im thinking bike pump is the best plan then guys!!! What makes them work better in the back of the car? I would prefer it in the engine bay tbh.

And are people wiring them to the oil pressure switch?

bob - 19/4/13 at 08:14 PM

Fireblade carbs on my zetec and i have an R1 carb fuel pump that's rubber mounted next to the fuel tank.

matt_gsxr - 19/4/13 at 09:10 PM

Agreed on stock pump. Low power consumption and very simple device (so reliable).

The reason people fit them below the tank is because they are not designed to suck fuel into them.
Folk do mount them in the engine bay and seem to get away with it, but there isn't any real disadvantage of mounting at the back.

Not sure whether wiring to oil pressure is worth the bother. The reservoir of fuel in the carbs means that the engine will run on a bit even when the fuel pump stops. Maybe just fit a brighter oil pressure light if you are worried about possible failures in that area.

Matt

RichardK - 20/4/13 at 03:26 AM

As said bike pump all the way, apparently they push fuel better, having said that mines been in the bay for 15k and not a problem on either the original pinto or zetec, they did use the same carbs, btw any pump off a carbed 600cc bike or greater should be fine. Just watch out for the ones that are inbuilt into the tank.

Cheers

Rich

Edited for wank spelling!

[Edited on 20/4/13 by RichardK]

FASTdan - 20/4/13 at 08:55 AM

Hi,

I can do you a bike pump in with the kit if needed. U2U or email me and I will sort a price.

redturner - 22/4/13 at 04:18 PM

I run a 2 litre Black Top on R1 carbs with a Danst manifold in my single seater. I use a small solid state pump through a regulator and it never runs short of fuel....