Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover K (45) clutch cylinder questions
drt

posted on 10/5/19 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rover K (45) clutch cylinder questions

Thanks for any help in advance!

I am looking to use the rover 45 clutch master cylinder and slave...
but I cant figure out how to make the connection? The line seems to exist out of plastic hose melted onto the brass nipples.
Can I buy this kind of line ?
Also what is the vibrant yellow thingy in the line ?

A side issue is that the throttle cable is too short, though I was going to use bicycle break cable as the tension on the cable would be low.
Any other alternatives ?

thanks

rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/19 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think the yellow item is a connector , it may also be a residual pressure valve? From memory the master cylinder comes with a section of plastic pipe factory fitted as does the slave cylinder. Pressing the pipe into the connector then pressing in the central collar releases the pipe
obfripper

posted on 10/5/19 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
The yellow thing is a fluid damper to stop the clutch being engaged too fast and reduce pedal vibration, it should disconnect as above if you're lucky.

The original system comes prefitted with the pipework, but i think 8mm john guest pneumatic fittings join that type of pipe ok and are rated for suitable pressures.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pneumatic-straight-tube-to-tube-adaptors/7042840/
That would allow you to cut the pipe and join in a suitable section for your purposes, depending if that tail on the slave is long enough to go into the connector.

The plastic line is essentially the same as the fuel pipe used on most modern cars, i have managed to fit new pipe to a tail by warming the pipe and pushing over, but it's more luck than judgement, as too hot and it bubbles up or it folds over rather than expanding over the tail.

Dave

drt

posted on 11/5/19 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your tips...

After a lot of searching I found on the MG forum that the yellow thing is a coupler...
might still be a damper, I'll have a look when I get it open.

The pneumatic couplers are interesting, but with what pipe would I elongate the system ?
Also, is a pneumatic coupler happy with DOT4?

I also found this:

https://www.s10forum.com/forum/f143/clutch-master-line-replacement-364171/

S10's have almost exactly the same components and this guy resolved it with ''Russel'' fittings.
These will be hard to get over here...

any suggestions?

I see my options as

*get these fittings and work with AN3 line
*get hydraulic hose and just replace entire plastic line
*get master and slave that work with either banjo or brake line

Dingz

posted on 12/5/19 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
The link to the John Guest couplers says thay are Wras and food approved. that to me is a good indicator that the O rings are EPDM material which is what you need for DOT 4 brake fluid. Best check with them though, and don't use standard hydraulic hose as that will be a nitrile which is a no no, it will swell and soften, again you need EPDM, teflon or whatever nylon the manufacturers use these days, assuming you want a flexible hose.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

drt

posted on 14/5/19 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, that was very insightfull

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.