Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: air filter v bell mouths

posted on 1/3/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
air filter v bell mouths

Hi any advantage replacing the air fliter on my 40 webers with a set of bell mouths or whatever u call them chheers Keith
Snuggs

posted on 1/3/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Possiby, but air filters stop dirt,insects and small mammals being ingested by your engine

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

mr henderson

posted on 1/3/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
The advantage would be more air flow, especially at engine speeds determined by the length ofthe trumpets, and the disadvantage would be dust etc getting into your engine

posted on 1/3/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
airfilter v bell mouth

cheers thought that might be the case
v8kid

posted on 1/3/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why not do both? The bell mouths are to smooth the air flow into the intake and tune it to your selected rpm range. Get bigger filters and fit them over the top.

Worked OK for me. I'm told there is a power reduction with the filters but at £70 an hour for a rolling road I could not affort to verify it. Anyone else checked it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 1/3/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not mutually exclusive. You can have trumpets / bellmouths to improve air flow with filters. Whatever you do don't fit the course mesh filters. They don't stop the dust and fine dirt that does the damage and strange the inlet!!! Worst of both worlds.... IE a short-lived under-powered engine....
Memphis Twin

posted on 1/3/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Webers absolutely need bellmouths AND filters. K+N do a DCOE filter where the ram pipes (aka velocity stacks, aka bellmouths) fit inside. Without ram pipes your 40s will perform nowhere near their potential. Airflow through the carbs will be down by a huge amount.

You could also fit sock filters which are cable-tied over the ram pipes.

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/3/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
^^wot he said. I know of a guy who had good old fashioned SU's. Stub stacks gave a 5% power increase, same day same RR. Almost free power. And a decent filter is a must, don't skimp, false economy. I believe K+N or ITG to be about the best. And I reckon socks are not as good as a proper filter, much smaller surface area.
DarrenW

posted on 2/3/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ive retained the std Kawasaki bell mouths on my bike carbs and encased the lot in a 100mm deep K&N challenger. Filter is HUGE, but i doubt there will be any air starvation.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.