Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9r e still not turning
joolsmi16

posted on 25/3/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9r e still not turning

Hi all, engine still will not turn over from the switch..

I've tested the relay, starter motor, starter switch, starter circuit in fuse box, ignition switch all the diodes but still not turning.

Any ideas to whats wrong!!!!

Jools

MikeCapon

posted on 25/3/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sidestand or clutch safety switches?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
svenkev

posted on 25/3/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
maybe the sidestand switch..?
mistergrumpy

posted on 25/3/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got the 100 OHMS resistor in there?
If the engine's in the chassis then try putting a jump lead between the engine and this to earth it.

joolsmi16

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
zx9r

I have not got a resistor in the loom as its a standard item as taken from the bike.. Where does this resistor go????

I can turn the engine over by putting power from the battery directly to the starter relay.

Jools

mr henderson

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
I have not got a resistor in the loom as its a standard item as taken from the bike.. Where does this resistor go????

I can turn the engine over by putting power from the battery directly to the starter relay.

Jools

In that case there is something in the wiring that doesn't want you to turn over the engine. As the other guys have said, it's probably the sidestand or the clutch switch, or maybe the neutral switch. Have a good look at the wiring diagram and compare it with what you've got.

John

joolsmi16

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
zx9r

The engine is in neutral and the clocks is showing that it is. I've tried the side stand in both positions.
mr henderson

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
The engine is in neutral and the clocks is showing that it is. I've tried the side stand in both positions.

I'm not familiar with your engine's cicuitry. Do you have a wiring diagram for it?

The clutch switch shouldn't be an issue with the engine in neutral (I believe). So, it sounds like there is a fault. If so, then no-one here is going to be able to tell you what to do. You need to get in there with a meter and the wiring diagram.

John

mr henderson

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, does it have a 'vehicle down' sensor? If so, is it in the correct position, or has it been correctly bypassed?

John

rb968

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is there is normally a 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch wiring on the bike. Assuming like me you aren't using the original switch but are on the sierra barrel or other you will need 100 ohm resistor. On my ZX9r B engine is was between the white feed from the ignition to the alternator and the grey wire to the Ignitor or ECU. Now I can't be 100% on how it needs to be on your new switch as I am in the process of wiring it in myself. Previously had it running with resistor simply looped between white and grey on the ignition connector.

Hope that helps! Not shown on the wiring diagram btw.
Rich

mr henderson

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
My understanding is there is normally a 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch wiring on the bike. Assuming like me you aren't using the original switch but are on the sierra barrel or other you will need 100 ohm resistor. On my ZX9r B engine is was between the white feed from the ignition to the alternator and the grey wire to the Ignitor or ECU. Now I can't be 100% on how it needs to be on your new switch as I am in the process of wiring it in myself. Previously had it running with resistor simply looped between white and grey on the ignition connector.

Rich

Yes, indeed, I remember that from a ZX12, it went to a pin on the ECU. I'm not sufficiently familiar with bikes to know whether or not a ZX9r has an ecu or not.

mistergrumpy

posted on 25/3/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
It's the lack of a resistor then. The standard starter button, which I presume you're not using just the loom, need to be simulated with a resistance of 100 Ohms. It should go between the white and grey wires on the ignition.
If you get stuck there's loads of it on a search.

MK9R

posted on 26/3/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968

Rich

Thats bang on, i'll dig out my wirung diagram for you, hold on.......

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 26/3/09 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Can't find the diagram at the moment, but have a quick look at my old website hints page and december 2002:
ftp://ftp.jpc.co.za/index.html

[Edited on 26/3/09 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

rb968

posted on 26/3/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
This is the wiring diagram for the ZX9r B engine. You can see the Ignition connector and the white wire. The grey wire runs from the ignition connector to the IC ignitor. Thats the wire that needs the resistor to provide the 100ohms to the IC I believe. Hopefully that is some help. I have the manual in the garage will look and see if I have the later models wiring diagram if you need it.

ZXRB UK wiring
ZXRB UK wiring

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.