Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chevrolet LS1 V8. Can it be done?
wrnchbndr

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Chevrolet LS1 V8. Can it be done?

I have a 2000 Camaro SS LS1/M6 that is a daily driver w/ 45K on the clock. The LS1 is an all aluminum V8 w/ 340 hp standard and the transmission is a manual six speed. The car tops out at 137 mph not quite reaching the redline. With this powerplant, can I use the Locost approach to building a Locost? Detuning and a rev limiter is an option. The goal is an ultra dependable sportscar with the greatest longevity. My thought is that such a powertrain will virtually last forever pushing such a lightweight car. My fuel economy should also be respectable and far better than the 21mpg that I currently achieve (less foot to the floor). Camaros are abundant here in the US as are highperformance suspension parts. I'd like to use the engine, transmission, brakes and most of the suspension if possible. I've looked for a seven-esq chassis builder who has designed something for Chevrolet donors with no success. Dumb idea or something worth considering?

Always keep the shiney side up.

scootz

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing is impossible in Locost-Land!

You'll certainly squeeze the LS1 into a 7 chassis... may have to use a slightly wider front end, but not a biggie.

350(ish)bhp is not OTT either.

The only downside I can think of is that the Chevy unit throws out a heck of a lot of torque in a big dollop. Again, not a disaster!

It's Evolution Baby!

coozer

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Go the locost way or ask the manufacturers if they would be interested in your project. I'm sure one of them will stand up to be counted.

Your not the first to do it, another member here is using a Viper engine so it is very possible.

Good luck!

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RichardK

posted on 14/12/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, it'll never work so you should give it to me

Anything possible mate, that's the beauty of locosting! Maybe have a look at the McSorely plans which have a bigger cabin area or viento that is about as big as you can get with a 7 style car.

No doubt you've got alot of work and probably stuff thats not been done before which will make it harder but anything's possible mate with positive outlook and lots of shiny coins.

Or you could do it the traditional way and then drop the big lump in later.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Give it to Rich there, he makes everything (tight and xmas come to mind)

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

russbost

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
AGM sporstcars used an Mk chassis originally for their WLR - may not look much like a 7 but it's a 7 underneath - the chassis has been modded a bit & checked out by Uni engineering dept & they had a Ls2 Chevy in one of theirs last year - they're currently fitting a Merc V12!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure Luego used to do a version of the Viento for LS1 engines.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
take all the bits off the camaro. lay them all out on the floor how you want them to be on the car.

then get the welder, angle grinder and some steel.

6 months later come back with some pictures

if im correct i think those older camaros have leaf spring rear suspension. you should be able to cut the leaf spring mounts off the rear axle and weld on mounts to take coil over suspension units

i dont know what the front uprights are like on a camaro but worst case scenario you order some cortina or sierra uprights from the uk.

either way its definatly possible to do it.

do you know the width between the inside of the two rear wheels?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

RichardK

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Give it to Rich there, he makes everything (tight and xmas come to mind)

Thanks Steve for the compliment, nice to see you back on after your short break, didn't see any posts from you on sat or sun, I reckon you've been busy supporting Joe on the xfactor Come on come clean

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I asked MNR about putting an LS series in their vortx.

Their answer........"No problem"

Where abouts are you? I used to live in Oklahoma.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

rusty nuts

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
The Luego Viento at the Stoneleigh show stand had the LS1 lump so it can be done , there is also the Viper engined Viento as well
NeilP

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have a lookie here V10 Viento

And then look at Ben's site at the Viento 400 www.luegosportscars.com

...anything and everything is possible in locostbuildersland...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

meany

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
another option could be to use the running gear from a Merkur xr4Ti or A Merkur scorpio..if there is any..(ford sierra and scorpio in uk).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkur

that way, the existing plans/kits that we use here would need little modification, all deprnds on the engine dimension i suppose.

Liam

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mm mmm. If I was going V8 i'd definately use the LS series. I've eyed plenty up at shows and they look remarkably compact for the capacity thanks to the if-it-aint-broke-don't-fix-it OHV design. Narrower than the V6 i'm using in fact.

I'd expect one could fit in a standard book chassis if you can get it right back in the engine bay a la dax rush. Heck I've seen a dax rush with a large block chevy and I think the rush is actually slightly narrower in the engine bay than a book locost.

Liam

Dusty

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is an LS1 (or 2 or 7 or something) in an Aussi Elfin. Pricey kit along the lines of Donkevort. Rescued attachment elfin.jpg
Rescued attachment elfin.jpg

wrnchbndr

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
What a hell of a lot of replys and not at all what I expected. I'm very encouraged. I have a friend in the motor trade and I'll see if I can get a 2000 Camaro thats been all beat up with a blown engine -- probably less than $300 for a car with no repairable value wholesale -- lots of them about. A non-SS model still has the LS1 and the same general suspension. I supose I need to build a shed for my project and a a keg of my homebrew. Lets consider this project started. Thanks for the encouragement.
Simon

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
The very high torque can be countered by using an exceptionally low diff ratio.

Of course you should do it

ATB

Simon

britishtrident

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Really not a good idea, if you want to use the engine start with a Cobra replica.

Seven style cars should be about lightweight and balanced handling. Brute force is best left to the Cobra boys where it can be truely awesome.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

wrnchbndr

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I am a bit concerned about putting the pedal to the floor at 65mph and just loosing it from the torque. I had an unfortunate encounter like that from a front wheel drive turbo equipped car and a wet patch on the center line -- scared the #%^ outta me. But then I also became aware of the conflict between spitfires, corners, and wet roads while in the UK. Some cars demand discipline with the accellerator and these are eneviatably the most fun to drive.

Always keep the shiney side up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.