Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Catch Tank - filling up?
Tiger Super Six

posted on 1/3/10 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Catch Tank - filling up?

Chaps,

Took my car out for a blast on Saturday and although the drive was good, when I got back the oil catch tank had about 0.5 litre of oil in it! (onyl did 5 miles). On a previous car, my engines never used to push anything out?

Could it be that I drove it too hard when the oil was cold so it built up too much pressure and pushed it out, or is there another reason do you think?

It's on a pinto and I have the hole under the exhaust headers blanked off and then have a take off from the crank case breather into a T piece that also collects from the rocker cover and then goes into the catch tank.

Any ideas on what caused it, or if there's a problem?

Mark.

Mark

Tiger Avon

nitram38

posted on 1/3/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
You've blocked the breather so the crankcase is pressurizing.
You need a hose from the top of the engine and the side of the block to end up in a catch tank that is open to the atmosphere, seperately not T.
Originally the block one would have gone into the inlet manifold to create a negative pressure in the block and burn off any oil vapour.

[Edited on 1/3/2010 by nitram38]

Tiger Super Six

posted on 1/3/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had my old engine with the T piece and the catch tank is then vented to the outside via another pipe, so my thought is that both pipes (joined via the t piece) are effectively then vented to the outside?

The only thing I am wondering is that on the crank breather the chap I bought the car from had fitted some kind of wire thing in the pipe that comes off the crank breather, could this be sufficient to pressure the system, I left it in as I assumed he put it there for a reason, but should I take it out?

[Edited on 1/3/10 by Tiger Super Six]

[Edited on 1/3/10 by Tiger Super Six]

Mark

Tiger Avon

tigerzetec

posted on 1/3/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Used to have a T peice on my Zetec. Found it was syphoning. Now have a Hose from the crankcase to the catch tank, but with a pcv valve inline where two hoses join together. The hose from the cam cover goes to a separate filter. Now i don't get loads of oil in the tank when i corner heavy, which was another problem i had.
jacko

posted on 1/3/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
Chaps,

Took my car out for a blast on Saturday and although the drive was good, when I got back the oil catch tank had about 0.5 litre of oil in it! (onyl did 5 miles). On a previous car, my engines never used to push anything out?

Could it be that I drove it too hard when the oil was cold so it built up too much pressure and pushed it out, or is there another reason do you think?

It's on a pinto and I have the hole under the exhaust headers blanked off and then have a take off from the crank case breather into a T piece that also collects from the rocker cover and then goes into the catch tank.

Any ideas on what caused it, or if there's a problem?

Mark.

Which hole do you have blocked? do you mean the water pipe coming out the inlet manifold?
You need the breather pipe coming out the block no one way valve to a catch tank and a pipe from your oil filler cap to the catch tank the catch tank wants a small filter on the top
-------!!------
-------!!------

[Edited on 1/3/10 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tiger Super Six

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
There's a hole mid way up the block under the exhaust headers on the edge near where the block meets the gearbox.

I thought it was an oil blanked off but maybe it's water as you say?

Mark

Tiger Avon

jacko

posted on 2/3/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
There's a hole mid way up the block under the exhaust headers on the edge near where the block meets the gearbox.

I thought it was an oil blanked off but maybe it's water as you say?

A note to ME i must read the post properly
The plug you refer to under the exhaust is a oil return when a turbo is fitted [Cosworth engine ]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.