Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finding Cars from half a registration
tomprescott

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Finding Cars from half a registration

Hi Everyone,
Hoping someone on here can help me, I'm looking for a search engine where you can find a cars details from half a registration number.
On my way to uni this morning got rear-ended by some arse in a merc who had tried to jump the lights and then couldn't break hard enough. I signalled to him to come off the A road that we were on at the roundabout that was literally 20ft in front of us, he moved into the lane to do it then at the last minute turned off onto the m32 and was gone before my passenger could get down all of his registration.

Just had a look at my car, the bumper is a little bit cracked and the clips that hold it on are bent but it doesn't look like there's anything too major - unless theres loads of damage behind the bumper.

Called the police to try and report it and was told I had to go to my nearest station within 24 hours, bringing all my insurance details and both parts of my license - I really don't have the time to do this (especially as my insurance cert is at home not with me in uni) and I'm worried that I'll lose my NCB for an accident that wasn't my fault, especially if they can't find the guy!

If anyone could give me some advice that would be brilliant, or if anyone has a tendencie for violence, then the first half of the reg is R425 and it was a black merc estate and relatively new!

Thanks in advance, Tom

tigerzetec

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Might be a private plate. You say the car was relatively new, but starts with R425
turbodisplay

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
What about cctv?
Not just govenment but shops etc?
You can probally guess the route, and time the vehicle passed.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I a not sure you would lose your NCB unless you actually go through your insurance.

I would report it to the police as they have technically left the scene of an accident, causing damage to your vehicle.

Similar thing happened to my wife years ago, we had half a reg, which the Police found the owner very quickly. They were uninsured, not taxed, no licence etc - but thats another story

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

gottabedone

posted on 2/3/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
If the parts of the index number that you have are right then the police can find the full number with a little bit of effort - especially if you know the make/model of the car.

He may have committed an offence if he doesn't report it to a police station within 24 hrs - which is why you must

It's surprising what hidden damage is done with modern crumple zones.

good luck

Steve

blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
do it!

not stopping at the scene of an accident is a pretty big crime! he doesn't really know if anyone was hurt. unlikely if you carried on driving behind him, but thats not the point

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
go along to the police station with as many details / bits of paper as possible. Tell them the stuff you're missing you can't find and will bring in within 14 days - ie enough time to get stuff resent to you if lost between home and uni.

means you're in the legal clear.

nb i'm no lawyer so if you get done for not having your bit of paper then i apologise

smart51

posted on 2/3/10 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Do the right thing. It could come back to bite you otherwise. Report the indecent to the police at the station. It will be a PITA but do it. The merc driver may look at the damage to his car and decide he wants you to pay for it, concocting a plausible story and going to the police. If you don't report it, you look like you've got something to hide.

There will be hundreds of cars with that partial plate. Not too many will be black merc estates though. Plod could narrow it down quite easily.

Plus, if they do catch a scrote who clears off from the scene of a collision, the better for the rest of us.

tomprescott

posted on 2/3/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, cheers guys, I've just got back so will pick up the bits I have and pop down to the station, with a bit of luck I'll keep my ncb and there'll catch him. It was on a fairly major road during rush hour, there aren't any shop cctv, but there are quite a few traffic cameras so hopefully they can identify him from that! Cheers, Tom
blakep82

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
if they want to try and catch him that is
good luck with it hope the police actually want to put the effort in

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

morcus

posted on 3/3/10 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
Leaving the scene of an acident is a very serious crime in the eyes of the law, If you don't report it propperly he could say it was you that failed to stop. Some one I used to work with went to prison for leaving the scene of an accident (Apparently he hit a Curb in the middle of nowhere and rolled the car, then went to find a phone box, whilst he was doing this someone else reported the accident and that he wasn't there and he was arested or summoned a couple of days later. I add that I don't know for sure about the story or circumstance, only that he was in prison for leaving the scene of an accident.)

A fairly new car fleeing to me screams uninsured driver, and probably will to Police.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

T66

posted on 3/3/10 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
The Police advice for YOU to report the matter within 24 hours is sound !

If the other guy HAS your registration and has a damaged car then he may dob you in it ...

Unlikely but possible.

My advice go and report it to the Police, and live with the fact your car is needing repair.

Informing your own insurer keeps you straight aswell.

Or say nothing to anyone, and see what happens. You have no chance of recovering any costs from the other side at all.

Just make sure you carry a claw hammer in your glovebox should you sight it again. One swipe should call it quits.....

Drivers like them are ten a penny on todays roads, there are no traffic cops to pick on the idiots anymore just cameras.

Good luck

tomprescott

posted on 3/3/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Everyone,
Went and reported it yesterday, I have a passenger as a witness (don't know how handy that will be in court if it gets that far - I'm thinking bias?), they didn't want to see any of my documents but I took both parts of my license anyway. Took my statement and said that its unlikely that they would find him due to not having the whole reg, it was during rush hour so its possible that someone may ring in to notify them of the accident.

Basically, as with all of my experiences so far with the police; we'll try our best but don't hold your breath!

It really annoys me, they only seem to care about crime when they're guaranteed a conviction, if I had the time and the same resources as the police I reckon I could find him within a week!

At least I'm covered as far as the law is concerned and it also looks like I haven't received too much damage - must be due to the merc having good crumple zones

On the other hand the officer that took my statement said that even if I don't claim on my insurance to repair the bumper I may lose my no claims bonus just for being in an accident! Not cool as I only have 6 days left on my current insurance policy, feels like I'm going o be punished in insurance premiums for someone elses bad driving!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.