Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: new brake pads
afj

posted on 3/3/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
new brake pads

what are the pads of choice for sierra calipers + 260mm vented discs mk indy r1 thanks locosters

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

whitestu

posted on 3/3/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 240mm disks and use EBC Yellow stuff, which are cheap and work really well.
turbodisplay

posted on 3/3/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
2nd ebc yellow stuff pads. If a 1.5ton car fails to fade on the track, it will work fine on a sub ton car.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
2nd ebc yellow stuff pads. If a 1.5ton car fails to fade on the track, it will work fine on a sub ton car.
Darren

Now I'm not saying EBC pads are crap (or good) but I have to take issue with your logic

A set of pads might be great and not overheat in a 1.5t car, but what's to say they'll even get warm enough to be any good in a car weighing half that ?

Having looked at the EBC site and checked out the different colours and what they're recommended for, I'm none the wiser. Although the mention of better "longevity" with the yellow pads makes me think they're harder wearing and not what I'd be wanting for a high power, low weight car

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

indykid

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
yellowstuff aren't great in an mx5 if it's any help? the bite's poor and the feel's average compared to others (axxis and carbotech but i don't think they're available for sierras ) overall stopping power's good but the finesse is a bit wayward

i've never heard bad things said about mintex 1144s, but i have no personal experience.
tom

tul214

posted on 3/3/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have neither Sierra calipers, or 260mm discs but I do have Mintex1144 pads.
They have good bite from cold and have never faded on the track(unlike the standard Halfords pads).

I would certainly recommend them. Others seem to praise Green stuff pads.

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Jed

posted on 3/3/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have 260mm discs now on my TVR S3 and use Mintex M1144 pads. Have found them to be great from cold with a good bit of bite and they have good modulation. The part number is MDB1236 M1144 and there are some on that auction site at the moment.
I had heard that the M1144 pads were being replaced by Mintex Xtreme but the Mintex site isn't helpful and I can't find where I read that.

whitestu

posted on 4/3/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

A set of pads might be great and not overheat in a 1.5t car, but what's to say they'll even get warm enough to be any good in a car weighing half that ?

I agree with this, which is why EBC claim Yellow stuff work well in a 7. They have a higher friction coefficient than standard pads so get up to temp easier.

I'm well pleased with mine (particularly given that they were about £30 a set) and had a noticable reduction in pedal pressure when they were fitted.

Stu

tigerzetec

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have Sierra Calipers, 239mm vented discs with Ferodo pads. Halfords were selling them off cheap for £13 - Bargain.
As for their performace............They stop the car. Thats it.........

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.