Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Filter Hot on Mercruiser Diesel Engine
tigerzetec

posted on 1/6/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Filter Hot on Mercruiser Diesel Engine

Here's a non car question for you.... I have a Motor Cruiser fitted with a Cummins/Mercruiser diesel lump. It is a 120hp Turbo charged unit with mechanical injection. After a long run with it, i discovered that the 1st fuel filter housing was very hot. Bearing in mind that this is not fitted onto the engine itself, but is opposite the engine and physicaly screwed to the boat. From the filter, there is an input rubber hose that connects to the copper fuel pipe from the fuel tank on one side and two rubber hoses on the output side. One goes to a secondry fuel filter which is on the engine and the other connects to somewhere on the side (possibly from the pump ?) Does anybody think this might be just heat transmitting back through the hoses from the engine, or could it be something else?
Any ideas greatly appreciated

daviep

posted on 1/6/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have an electric lift pump built in to the filter head?

How hot was the diesel tank?

May just be the temperature of the fuel, remember it does circulate constantly throught the pump and a little bit back from the injectors so it gradually increases the temp of the fuel tank.

Davie

[Edited on 1/6/10 by daviep]

tigerzetec

posted on 1/6/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Davie, The fuel line on the input was stone cold. Can't easily feel the tank anyway as its encapsulated in a plastic housing and it holds approx 230 litres of fuel. so it would need a lot of heat to warm that up. Lol. Only the two hoses on the output were hot, and im starting to wonder if its just the temperature of the fuel as you said thats coming back through on the loop. I just didn't expect the metal housing of it to be that hot. You can't touch it for long before it starts to really hurt.
MikeRJ

posted on 1/6/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Most likely fuel coming back from the injector leak off.
Chippy

posted on 1/6/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
That is because the diesel returning from the engine will be very warm, as it has been through the injector pump, because this tries to compress the fuel it does get a "bit" hot, :-) Exactly the same on my cruiser, except the return fuel goes back to the tanks. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

tigerzetec

posted on 2/6/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I Guys, thanks for all your input with this. I have now found out a little bit more. As Chippy says, the return should go back to the fuel tank, but mine just loops back to the filter housing and then from there, goes straight into the secondry filter which is mounted on the engine. The reason it has been connected in this way was probably because there was no other easy way of doing it. She used to have a Non injected 4.3L petrol lump which wouldn't have had a return hose to the fuel tank. Now that it has a modern Diesel lump fitted, but with the original fuel tank, there probably wasn't an easy way to connect one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.