Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V I N number
DAN-MNR-ZX12R

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
V I N number

Hey guys me again, as the DVLA website is more of a challenge than unhooking a bra with your left hand I cant find a phone number for them.

All I need is a VIN number for my AVI1 form, has anyone had any experiance or can offer advice??

Cheers boys

eznfrank

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about a phone number but whatever happens get it in writing as they all seem to make up their own rules. DVLA Leeds insisted I used one of theirs and wouldn't entertain me making my own, whereas other offices seem fine with owner devised VINs
Michael

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA Sidcup was the same - they issued their own.
doddy

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
here a link just find you local office and the number will be there

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_10012974

Nash

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the link to the contact page for DVLA

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Contact+Us />
you can't ring your local branch direct. You have to ring Swansea.

HTH's?

....... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

Nash

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doddy
here a link just find you local office and the number will be there

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_10012974

Doddy if you look at the Local numbers they are all the same 0300 etc.

It's the Swansea number.

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

Russell

posted on 9/6/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
There are actually a raft of British Standards that cover VIN numbers (BS ISO 3799, BS ISO 3780 etc.) and they define amongst other things the correct format, letter height and placement of the VIN. It's these British Standards (they are actually adopted International Standards) that are the basis for the requirements in the IVA manual, it's not something VOSA made up themselves.

It's perfectly reasonable for a DVLA office to reject a proposed VIN number if it doesn't conform to the required standard. My local office said I could make up my own number but it must be unique (obviously) and must not copy any number or letter sequences already allocated to a manufacturer or another country.

Reading the standards, VIN numbers for cars built in the UK should start with the correct World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) code, which for the UK is SA through to SM. Strangely, the previous VIN I got from the DVLA began with SAB, which further research suggests is allocated to Optare buses. Go figure that one out!

To save any potential issues later down the road I would get a VIN from the DVLA. My local office seem to be both switched on and helpful and were a pleasure to deal with last time I registered a kit car. Lucky old me!

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 9/6/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DAN-MNR-ZX12R
Hey guys me again, as the DVLA website is more of a challenge than unhooking a bra with your left hand

sorry but being left handed i am quite adept at unhooking a bra in the dark.............

Steve Hignett

posted on 9/6/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't it easier for Everyone left handed?

skinned knuckles

posted on 10/6/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
now i feel like i'm missing out! i haven't had to unhook a bra in around 10 years. the job always seems to have been done for me in advance.......

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Bumble

posted on 10/6/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I contacted DVLA Swansea today asking about process for VIN no for a new build kit car (0300) 790 6802 (option1).
I was then told that the correct procedure for this was to write or fax my local DVLA Office requesting a VIN No. In the letter I should include my full name and address, details of what I'm buidling & that I'm nearing completion. I've done this and faxed to Northampton DVLA a f ew mins ago.

I was told that they might want to come and inspect the car before issuing but that this was unlikley.

HTH,
Matt

bigpig

posted on 12/6/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
My local branch is was a right job. I was told they wouldn't give me a VIN until the car was inspected, then told me that DVLA doesn't do visits at any branch. I was told they won't do an inspection until after the IVA, but won't issue a VIN number until the inspection, so in theory they have closed down the ability to get a kit car on the road by the use of local policy.

I phoned Swansea and they told me to contact them in writing as it wasn't right. I wrote to my local DVLA by recorded delivery giving them my proposed VIN number and asked for this number to be ratified or another one issued. They called back next day and got someone who was quite helpful, asked a few questions, such as, does the code have any meanings (to make sure its really random). After a bit of a discussion they said it is fine. Of course when it comes to the DVLA inspection they may change their mind again of course.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.