Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec V6 Upgrade options
Irony

posted on 11/6/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec V6 Upgrade options

Friend of mine asked me if I know of anyway he can get more umph out of his Duratec powered Mondeo ST220. He also asked if anyone could recommend anywhere to get said upgrades done.

Richard Quinn

posted on 11/6/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Look to the Noble M12 GTO 3R for inspiration
Scott W

posted on 11/6/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have this car and the long and short of it is, there isn't much that can be done!

Induction kits don't really have any effect, Bluefin's help marginally otherwise you are looking at custom headers/exhausts which can help.

MikeR

posted on 11/6/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
isn't the 3.0 jag v6 the same engine bored - couldn't you just swap the engines over for more umph?
CNHSS1

posted on 11/6/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
the duratec V6 family of engines are 2.5v6 thru to 3L in UK. Jag S type version has the only RWD sump, others tend to be FWD sumps even on the transverse 4WD X type jag.
Jag version has VVT and is circa 235ish hp.
The Mazda 6 version (Ford part own mazda of course) uses VVT but has different cams, and runs 263hp for some markets. think they call it AJ series, but not to be confused with soem of their own mazda V6s.
Mountune prep the engines as used in the Ginetta G50s, although they now use a US based version that is 3.5L, knocking on for 350hp. Theres also a 3.7L version in the states too.

Nobles are either 2.5v6 in the early m12 or3L in the 3R as mentioned.
2.5s run a pr of T25 turbos at about .5bar makes 300ish hp. The 3Rs pr of T28s at .7bar makes nearer 400.
engines are pretty stock to be honest, even use std Ford pistons and rods albeit nicked from some other ford engine as they are lower compression ratio.
anyone know which pistons or rods they use?
they run more fuel pressure and/or bigger injectors depending on noble model.

The yanks are into superchargers for teh Dura V6. 300-400hp from various blower kits, usually vortech blowers

[Edited on 11/6/10 by CNHSS1]

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

iank

posted on 11/6/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
razman used the v6 in his car. I believe he got to 200bhp just by losing the 3 catalytic converters. Probably had a decent air filter and a remap as well. But there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts iirc.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.