Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Facebook increases page load times
scudderfish

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Facebook increases page load times

Just watching the pages load in developer tools in Chrome, and it looks like the script references to Facebook are having a detrimental effect on the load times for pages (I just saw +10 seconds for all the FB references to be resolved and loaded). Given that the raw viewthread.php page ran in about 300ms, this is quite a hit.
tomgregory2000

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't for me, quick as usual
ahunt

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
If im on facebook and itunes at the same time. Itunes skips when stuff loads on facebook. its really annoying!............ probably about time i upgraded my pc...

Car 90% complete!!!

eddie99

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Still quick for me, i haven't noticed any difference!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scudderfish

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
OK, consider this. today.php comes in at a total of 116Kb of docs, and 23kb of scripts and has nothing to do with FB. The 27 post thread about FB is 401Kb of documents, 976Kb of style sheets, and 4.5Mb(!!) of javascript pulled in because of FB.
stevebubs

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
[pedant] Scudder, it's KB and MB not Kb and Mb[/pedant]

1MB = 8Mb

T66

posted on 8/11/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
No difference here ...

chrisxr2

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
slower

definately noticed a slowdown, was painfully slow the other day.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

will121

posted on 8/11/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know about all the IT stuff but seems to still load up in less than half a second and as quick as other forums im looking at
ChrisW

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
The 'facebook thing' loads in an IFRAME. Therefore, by nature, the thread page will load (and you can start reading) in the same time. It may take a second or two more for the facebook icons to appear as you continue to read, but if you're one of the people moaning about it you won't want to use them anyway, so that doesn't matter, surely?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 8/11/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's messed with the formatting of the page too...
scudderfish

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
The 'facebook thing' loads in an IFRAME. Therefore, by nature, the thread page will load (and you can start reading) in the same time. It may take a second or two more for the facebook icons to appear as you continue to read, but if you're one of the people moaning about it you won't want to use them anyway, so that doesn't matter, surely?

Chris

I wish it were that simple. Yes in single short threads it tends to get lost in the general noise of avatars and inline images. I used to read LCB by loading up the today.php page, loading 10 or so threads in tabs off that page and then reading them. What I notice now is that I can't quickly fire up the set of tabs as the browser is beginning to choke on all the extra JS and CSS processing it is doing on each tab. 4.5MB of non-cached javascript is a big bundle to swallow per tab. 1MB of CSS processing is significant. I'm reporting an observation. Others may not see the same problem as they potentially have a different usage pattern/better hardware/better bandwidth. I was just surprised that what was once snappy to use now brings Chrome to its knees. I don't regularly visit any other website with that claim to fame.
IFRAMEs work well if you are I/O bound, but I think the amount of JS and CSS is causing my browser to be CPU bound, and that is only going to get worse with the current implementation as the LCB threads get longer. FB integration is causing 10x the data to be processed that was processed before (401KB vs >5MB).

Regards,
Dave

scudderfish

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like the JS is now being cached, so that's a bit better
Bumble

posted on 8/11/10 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's now giving me issues at work with the internet Police and for that I'm not happy!!
scudderfish

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
And now it's moved to the top of the page and isn't on every post (I view threads with up to 100 posts per page). Thanks Chris, this is much better

Regards,
Dave

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.