Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bmp & jpeg images
Steve Hnz

posted on 4/8/04 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
bmp & jpeg images

For ages now I`ve grizzled about to myself about people who post bmp images instead of jpeg images. today I posted my first image ( see donors, what caliper is this?) & was amazed that the 30kb jpeg I had attached came back as a 549 kb bmp image. Is this something to do with my computer, or the site? Not all images come thru as bmps, I do get a lot of jpegs too so thought it was not my fault. What do others get this as? Any ideas out there. Cheers, Steve.
Scotty

posted on 4/8/04 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
jpegs are compressed "lossy" files, each time you save it, it gets smaller as the compression does its job, bmp are uncompressed files
perfectly normal

ps havent tried posting bmp's for that same reason

Steve Hnz

posted on 4/8/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Scotty, I appreciate that, what I can`t get my head around is how the jpeg I sent as an attachment came back as a bmp & gained 520kb in the process, is it something I`m doing, something to do with my computers settings or something to do with the sites server`s setting. Not vital, just irritating & a source of curiosity
Scotty

posted on 5/8/04 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
ah right!
(note to self - read the f@%king text properly next time )
not sure what you mean by "came back"
the same image in jpeg format will be a lot smaller than in bmp so that would explain the size difference.
why the image "came back" as a bmp must be something to do with the site's server - ask chrisW
HTH

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.