Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dampers too short, car too heavy?
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/9/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Dampers too short, car too heavy?

I'm using GTS dampers, and have a bit of a query about the rears. In order to get the trailing arms anywhere near parallel to the ground, I have the dampers wound right up to the limit. The car is no lightweight, but then its not particularly heavy either.

Has anyone else had this problem, any suggestions? Rescued attachment GTS Dampers.JPG
Rescued attachment GTS Dampers.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rusty nuts

posted on 4/9/04 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to extend the lower shock mounting , looks as if that would be fairly easy??? Rusty
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/9/04 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I know I could adapt to compensate, I wanted to know if this is a regular problem, and if anyone has a more elegant solution

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Viper

posted on 4/9/04 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mark
are they adjustable platforms and you are running out of adjustment?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/9/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, adjustable, and yes at full extension

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/9/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tim, thinking about it, I adjusted the platforms by hand quite easily, no C spanner required. The car was jacked up on the axle so the weight was on the dampers. Do you think the springs have gone soft in the 12 months they have been on the car?

Viper

posted on 4/9/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
you know what i am going to say

if they are at full extension and you haven't the ride height then you have no droop either so the shocks are too short or your mounting points are wrong...

there you knew i was going to say it didnt you.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 4/9/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
can't believe the springs have gone soft, never had that problem before, what poundage are they?

JohnN

posted on 4/9/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
You are screwing the platform the right way (clockwise, viewed from underneath)?? compressing the spring to raise the ride height??

If you can do that by hand you do have a serious problem or else the strength of superman

JohnN

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/9/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I was clutching at straws! I cannot remember the poundage, I will check out Darrens site to check. The mounting points are spot on, as you would expect from our trade. I looked through a few of my old photo's and cannot see the problem, although the car is a little heavier now than then, but not by much - how heavy can a tank and interior be?

Viper

posted on 4/9/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
open chat it's easier quicker to talk..

Steve Hnz

posted on 5/9/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mark, from your pic the problem isn`t one of spring rate because the spring don`t look overly compressed so the weight should not be a problem but check the shock length between centres to confirm this. that being OK its a problem with mounts & their relationship with the shock length. If your spring is not too compressed & you`ve had to wind it up too full or near full extension to get the car to sit correctly, then your shocks are too short for your mounts or vice versa. I know which will be cheapest to fix if not easiest. Move the shock mount. Cheers, Steve.
blueshift

posted on 5/9/04 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
GTS mount their shock brackets on the rear bulkhead side tube, I forget its name.. K or M or something? I was thinking of doing the same. brackets as per book don't seem to make structural sense where they are (flappy bit of vaguely-supported metal)
MikeRJ

posted on 5/9/04 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
GTS mount their shock brackets on the rear bulkhead side tube, I forget its name.. K or M or something? I was thinking of doing the same. brackets as per book don't seem to make structural sense where they are (flappy bit of vaguely-supported metal)

Glad I'm not the only one that feels it's a bit poorly enigneered around that area. I know there are thousands of cars driving around without apparent problems but it still looks weak. Even worse this is were the roll bar bolts/welds onto.

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/9/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I measured everything up today, exactly as per GTS spec, I think I will have to extend the lower(axle) brackets to compensate, I think they have been designed too short!

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/9/04 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I wont go too far with it though because if you reduce the ride height to its lower limit, this happens! Rescued attachment Bottom Ride Height.jpg
Rescued attachment Bottom Ride Height.jpg

Viper

posted on 5/9/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mark
yor springs are too short.

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/9/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think I should get longer springs of the same poundage or extend the lower mounts on the axle - or both? I am a little worried about having very little rebound

Viper

posted on 7/9/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
from what you have said and your pics it seems to me that your springs are too short. as for poundage does its a bit of a guess till you drive the car, if you put longer springs on then you won't need to wind up the platforms as much to get the same ride height, for what springs cost i would buy some longer springs before hacking the mounts about, most companys will exchange the springs if they are wrong anyway..
Tim

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/9/04 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Any recommendations before i google?

Viper

posted on 7/9/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm only the shock manufacturers or demon thieves etc....

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/9/04 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
8" by 180lb seems like a decent choice, what do you think?

Viper

posted on 7/9/04 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
spring rates, has to be your guess, i suppose you could ask others with a similar set up to you what rates they found worked, length...i would suggest that if you just need to compress the spring to fit it onto the damper then that would be a good starting point
Tim

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/9/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
There is 3/4" gap when full extended, an 8" spring would only need a 1/4" compression to fit. nice and snug, without being silly?

Viper

posted on 7/9/04 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
i am guessing you have a 7" spring on there now and you have to wind the platform to the max ......do you know anyone that can lend you a 9" spring? poundage doesnt matter to see if the ride height is gonna work. what length have you on the front?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.