Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boiler condensate pipe advice please
Stott

posted on 19/11/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Boiler condensate pipe advice please

Now I realise this is a car forum but my boiler is in my house which is next to my garage which has a kit car in it so there's the link :p lol

Anyway, fitting my bathroom now and thought it would be prudent to fit a condense pipe from the airing cupboard (where the combi lives) into the waste in the bathroom so when I finally have to get a new boiler (non condensing at the moment) it will be in place.

I can't get a good fall so it looks like I'll need a pump with this future boiler, question is, what size pipe should I fit? It'll go just after the sink connection in the run so it will get washed down regularly, all the pipe work is indoors under 'floor.

Cheers
Stott

loggyboy

posted on 19/11/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
You cant really pump condensation, as its a very small amount of water thats created. Aany pump would just be tuning in air most of the time.
Cann you not just drill an overflow to outside and let it drip on part of the garden or link to a RWP?

Mistral Motorsport

ruskino80

posted on 19/11/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
you can get pumps for boiler condensate,in your case it seems that you should be able to tee it into either the bath or basin waste,both of which are preferable to going outside with a condensate at first floor level due to freezing risks.
Do not allow for it to drip into the garden this is illegal.

Stott

posted on 19/11/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah you can get dedicated condensate pumps especially for it, my mother in law has one, it just drains into a sump and pumps out at a certain level. Some of these boilers give out a lot of condensate by all accounts.

There are rules re discharging outside as its acidic so either needs a neutraliser or to drain into a limestone soak away. It can however go into household waste downstream of regularly used appliances which also avoids the problem of it freezing up and shutting the boiler down.

Just looking for a one size fits all solution for the pipe into the airing cupboard really.

ruskino80

posted on 19/11/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
20 mm solvent weldpipe into an 1 1/2 tee with a reducer or 1 1/4 tee.
Stott

posted on 19/11/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Nice! Thanking you.

Just got the floor up, can achieve a fall of about 50mm per metre so looks like I can avoid a pump too

Cheers!

adam1985

posted on 19/11/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Overflow pipes the stuff you need think its 21.5 mm use the glued stuff and proper glue not pushfit type

If you install the pipe ready make sure you put a trap on or plug the end till its ready to use or it'll pong

UncleFista

posted on 19/11/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
You cant really pump condensation, as its a very small amount of water thats created. Aany pump would just be tuning in air most of the time.
Cann you not just drill an overflow to outside and let it drip on part of the garden or link to a RWP?

Aspen condensate pumps use a peristaltic pump so it doesn't matter to them if they're pumping water or air.
Cheap enough on eBay too.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.