Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: (house) window won't shut...
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/1/14 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
(house) window won't shut...

Just had to change the hinges on a plastic window in a rental as one had snapped. Managed to get identical hinges.
And then the reason the hinge snapped became apparent. When you shut the window (top opener) the "arrows" in the corners do not engage with their slot, and the whole sash sits 15 mm approx away from the frame. The hinges are fitted right in the corners of the frame, even use the same mounting holes. And I can't work out how to adjust them.
Anybody got any ideas or links to some sort of tutorial? Just spent an hour on Google where wd40 or "get an expert in" seem to be the only replies.
Cheers all....

r1_pete

posted on 24/1/14 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
At the top of each hinge there is a peg, which locates into a fork as you close the window, is that what you refer to as the 'arrow'?

A few years ago I had a similar problem with a seldom used window, it was down the the pivots in the hinge binding, and causing the peg to locate on the outside of the fork, the firm who installed them suggested lubricating the pivot points on the hinges, which did cure the problem, I do now give them all an anual squirs of 3 in 1

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 24/1/14 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
If it's a rental then get the Landlord to do it. It's probably due to fair wear and tear if they haven't been looked after by the Landlord?

Just a thought.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Slimy38

posted on 24/1/14 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit, the last time I had a problem with the hinges on a double glazed unit I also used WD40. There was one joint that was binding, and it was causing another to 'dislocate' or somehow move in a way that it shouldn't. Giving it a good clean and lube got it working properly, and all was good.

To be honest, I would potentially expect a new hinge to also need some sort of lube.

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/1/14 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I am the landlord! And want to fix it.
Lube isn't the problem, new hinges that move, well, like new. Sadly the tenants mentioned the hinge had broken months ago, and it hadn't shut properly for ages.shame they took so long to let me know....

Yes, this the peg not locating in its hole. Fnrrr.

Wondering if removing the glazed unit may help, and repack. Seems the only thing I can do. Unless there really is something I have missed.
Still, a new window isn't hugely expensive, probably a couple of hours to fit. But grief that I and the tenants would prefer to avoid.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 24/1/14 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I am the landlord! And want to fix it.

That shut me up then!!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

nick205

posted on 24/1/14 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Any photos you can post up?

Not sure if the same, but our windows have triangle plastic wedges screwed into the frame and opening part. As the window closes these pull against each other to pull the window tight into the frame. I've had one before where the little wedge came loose in the frame and prevented the window from pulling closed.

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/1/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Just had another look.
The metal hooks are deffo about 15mm away from going into the square hole they are meant to go into. Even a decent shove and application of a crowbar won't do it.
It just seems that the hinges won't line up. Maybe another set of hinges is worth a try.

AvonJas

posted on 24/1/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Try swapping the hinges over , they will open and close either way round but don't locate properly if fitted the wrong way round
austin man

posted on 24/1/14 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Just had another look.
The metal hooks are deffo about 15mm away from going into the square hole they are meant to go into. Even a decent shove and application of a crowbar won't do it.
It just seems that the hinges won't line up. Maybe another set of hinges is worth a try.

Some are handed so make sure you have fitted them on the correct side, a picture would be good. I manafactured and fitted upvc for years pls post a picture.

[Edited on 24/1/14 by austin man]

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/1/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Will see if I can get a pic over the weekend.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.