Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0 zetec compression
AvonJas

posted on 19/3/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 zetec compression

Hi, advice needed please
Bought a rebuilt 2.0 silver top last year with kent cams and larger ports and finally got round to fitting it
Did a compression test on it ,throttle wide open at normal running temp
dry test 1-128 , 2-128 , 3-128 , 4-130
Wet test 1-133 , 2-133 , 3-133 , 4-135
The results being close together are a good thing but they do seem low
Checked oil for coolant and coolant for oil ,all ok
My limited knowledge has run out so any ideas, worth worrying about or not

Cheers Jason

zetec

posted on 19/3/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The readings do look low, would have expected nearer 200 each cylinder, is you guage OK, can you check on another engine. Pity to strip it down only to find the gauge knackered! Not built as a turbo lump is it...

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

britishtrident

posted on 19/3/14 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AvonJas
Hi, advice needed please
Bought a rebuilt 2.0 silver top last year with kent cams and larger ports and finally got round to fitting it
Did a compression test on it ,throttle wide open at normal running temp
dry test 1-128 , 2-128 , 3-128 , 4-130
Wet test 1-133 , 2-133 , 3-133 , 4-135
The results being close together are a good thing but they do seem low
Checked oil for coolant and coolant for oil ,all ok
My limited knowledge has run out so any ideas, worth worrying about or not

Cheers Jason

How hot are the cams ? Wild cam = low compression test results.
How ever unless the cams are actually very long duration it could be a can timing error.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

AvonJas

posted on 19/3/14 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec
Tried 2 gauges 1 was brand new,that was my first thought
Not advertised as turbo lump ,not sure on that one

Britishtrident
Cams have got kc sportcam on them don't think there wild
But they do seem to be timed up correctly

zetec

posted on 19/3/14 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Try a wet test with a few drops of oil in the cylinder, might be the piston rings have not bed in if replaced?

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

daveb666

posted on 20/3/14 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds bad. Id sell the engine off in bits tbh.

Dibs on the cams?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

snapper

posted on 20/3/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
The fact there all equal at this time is more important
I'd run it for a bit rings may need seating under load
You could swing the cam a bit but I would run it and then rolling road it

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 20/3/14 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Another that affects compression test results is using long reach adaptors for the compresion gauge.
The long. is higher air volume adaptors reduce the readings especially if the one way check valve is far away from the cylinder.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Paul Turner

posted on 20/3/14 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
When I bought my first Zetec I was stunned at the lack of 2 litres lumps available, loads of 1.8's and 1.6's but no 2 litre ones. Eventually dropped on one out of a burn out, had been stood in a shed for a couple of years, no idea of mileage, it was mid 1994 date code. Only damage was a scorched lid on the airbox which I was not using so not an issue. When I took out the plug leads the whole area was full of yellow liquid, probably some sort of extinguisher residue.

Sump off and check bearings, all fine, fit ARP bolts, cam cover off, all looks fine but a couple of lifters were soft while the rest were still pumped up, possible issue, find out later. Replaced rear oil seal, fitted steel flywheel and spiggot and new cam belt. After a good dose of cleaning it looked fine.

Fitted engine in car using my old Weber 45's and a new manifold on my old exhaust. Used a Weber Alpha for spark, bloody thing stated the first touch of the the key and idled with a slight tappet rattle but nice and smooth still with x-flow jets etc in the Webers. After 10 minutes tappet was quiet, temperature settled at 90 degrees on the gauge.

Took it to a well known rolling road, it drove really well on the way there, better than the x-flow despite still having the same jets. RR man did the usual check over them set up the idle mixtures, he not a high HC reading. When he moved up the rev band the HC's kept increasing and he eventually did a leakdown test, his diagnosis was the engine was knackered. I left with an engine that was running beautifully and quiet but according the the RR man was knackered yet still producing a corrected flywheel figure of 161 bhp, healthy enough for a standard motor, only 4 less than my old race steel x-flow.

Car ran fine for a couple of months then the cooling system pressurised. Head off and it was evident that there was a slight leak on the exhaust side. But looking at the head and cylinders they were in great condition. Fitted new gasket, bolts etc and it was fine again. Later in the year I borrowed the leakdown tester from the workshops where I worked, it was a bit Heath Robinson but the results were fine, no problem indicated at all.

The following year I took it for a quick check over at the RR and said nothing to the operator. He checked it, all readings OK, HC's perfectly fine, 163 corrected bhp at the flywheel. At this point he commented that this engine was better than the previous one or had it been rebuilt. When I told him all I had done was drive it and fit a new head gasket he did not believe me.

The only assumption I can make is while the engine was stood the rings must have stuck slightly and it was in this state when it went on the first RR session. As I ran it everything loosened off again and bingo, HC's down to normal.

Ran that engine for 4 years and then again for 6 months 3 years later after a track day calamity with a new motor I had built. It never missed a beat. Its still under the bench, cannot bear to part with it.

So if its running OK don't panic, readings can be misleading.

AvonJas

posted on 20/3/14 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the advice ,will run it and see how things go , did use a long reach adapter so that may have some bearing on it
Nice one Dave666

Scuzzle

posted on 20/3/14 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see you having a problem with compression, I've heard of loads of guys taking the heads off engines with high miles on them and still being able to see the honing marks on the bores and I include myself as one of them.

I'm used to x-flows where you take the head off and can usually wiggle the piston around in the bore after it's seen a few miles, the zetec is nothing like this.

Might be worth paying just for a power run at a rolling road just to see how healthy the figures are at the wheels.

If you decide you want to whip the head off it to have a look always fit the thinnest MLS gasket you can get when sticking it back on as this gives you a nice compression increase without having to skim the head, the standard fibre gasket is 2mm where the MLS is 0.6mm. Although if someone has gone to the bother and expense of cams and headwork I expect this has been done already as well.

[Edited on 20/3/14 by Scuzzle]

big_wasa

posted on 20/3/14 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Early zetec rings do stick in the grooves of the piston and there is two different thicknesses. Also if the engine hasn't run for a bit then the hydraulic lifters may not be giving you full lift.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.