Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: To store or refurbish and store?
chris68

posted on 21/8/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
To store or refurbish and store?

Hi Guys,

Looking for your thoughts and ideas on engine storage. In general I guess the average kit car build is what say 18 months. Now many will have removed an engine that will be refurbished either completely or just the basics done and then placed back in a new chassis.

So what to do......

Is it worth spending time, effort and money refurbishing an engine now and then storing it in the garage until its ready to go in the new car when it may deterioate while its waiting for its new home or...

Liberally soak the bores in engine oil and leave it like this until time can be spent refurbishing nearer the time when the car can be started for the first time?

What have you guys done and any tips?

Cheers,

Chris

mark chandler

posted on 21/8/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Get a second hand lump, chuck it in and see what it goes like.

Modern oils are so good now that unless you are rebuilding to develop the tune of the engine there is not much point doing anything other than source, splash with oil and block openings.

The Black Flash

posted on 21/8/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
My engine was hanging around for a couple of years between build and use. I soaked it with engine building lube which is super-sticky and clings to everything like honey, when I had to open it up again just before starting it seemed to still be covering everything. Though I did give the cams a good squirt of oil before first start up as a "just in case"
The engine builders on Pistonheads basically said "meh, it'll be fine".

Paul Turner

posted on 26/8/14 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
When I bought my first Zetec it had been stood unloved in a shed at the breakers. Took off the cam cover and everything was still nice and oily. Had to take off the sump to replace it with a shortened one so dropped a big end and main cap off while I was In there (replaced the big ends with ARP's) and the bearings were nice and oily.

Stuck the engine in, started first click of the key and ran beautifully for 4 years.

Replaced it with a bored and tuned one which after 3 1/2 years went pop on a track day. Still had the original Zetec where it had stood for 3 1/2 years under the bench, stuck it back in and again it ran beautifully.

That engine is still under the bench. Take it out every year or so and put a bit of oil down the bores and on the cam lobes and turn it by hand a few times. Looks like new inside.

chris68

posted on 26/8/14 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Think in that case I will leave well alone for now just make sure I add a bit of oil now and then turn over by hand and store. Not sure whether to improve engine or just enjoy and improve later.

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.