Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie shows off donor binders!
Pseudo7

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie shows off donor binders!

Fresh Meat here! Just wanted to establish contact and try to post a couple pics of my donor brakes for my soon to start to build 7!

...1st pic is the brakes/spindle/hubs freshly "unearthed" from a local junkyard...2nd pic is after a few days in my "AutoSpa"!

Details:
Spindles/Hubs: '94/'95 Mustang
Front Brakes: '00 Mustang GT, PBR 2 piston Aluminum caliper/10.84" dia x 1.0" vented rotors
Rear Brakes: '87-'87 Turbo Tbrd calipers/10.125" dia vented rotors Rescued attachment Pseudo7_brk_before_x.jpg
Rescued attachment Pseudo7_brk_before_x.jpg

Pseudo7...similar, but not authentic!

Pseudo7

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
...2nd pic...after a few days in my "Autospa"! Rescued attachment Pseudo7_brks_after_x.jpg
Rescued attachment Pseudo7_brks_after_x.jpg

mookaloid

posted on 5/1/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Very Nice, I have some things which would benefit from a vacation at your 'autospa'
drmike54

posted on 5/1/05 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Like the parts, i need an auto spa too!
I am planning on using early fox body suspension pieces. How do you plan on assembling the front suspension?

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pseudo7

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
drmike54:
I'm contracting CMC to design/fab the front control arms. They'll attach to the chassis in the usual Locost way (I'm using rod ends here). The lower arm will attach to the upright using a ball joint (SN95 Mustang)...the upper arm will most likely attach to the upright using either a ball joint or a rod end via a ball joint adapter bracket made from two angle brackets similar to the pic attached (Ref: www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/). Rescued attachment 7_strutspindleattach.jpg
Rescued attachment 7_strutspindleattach.jpg

stevebubs

posted on 5/1/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Autospa?

Portions of my (on the road) car could do with a dip..please tell more...
Pseudo7

posted on 5/1/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
...well, since you asked:

The parts were first disassembled as much as practical (i.e., the hubs were removed from the spindles, wheel studs removed, caliper brackets seperated from calipers, caliper sliding pins removed, but the caliper pistons were NOT removed).

The parts were then treated to a vigorous scrubbing w/a variety of wire brushes: toothbrush sized, bench grinder sized, and pneumatic die grinder mounted. I used acetone and alcohol w/the toothbrush sized wire brush to facilitate the cleaning process on the calipers (being careful around the rubber piston dust boots).

After wire brushing, the steel parts (uprights, caliper brackets, hubs (their inner bearings sealed up w/duct tape)) were treated to a phosphoric acid bath (PPG Metal Prep) followed by a phosphoric acid/zinc phosphate soaking (PPG Metal Conditioner) to increase paint adhesion and corrosion resistance.

The uprights were wiped down w/acetone and shot w/VHT No-Rust epoxy satin black chassis paint. The hubs were shot w/VHT High Temp cast iron (colored) lacquer paint.

The brake calipers and brackets were wiped down w/acetone and shot w/VHT Brake Caliper silver paint (900 deg F), followed by 3-4 coats of VHT Flameproof clear (1200 deg F). After the paint was dry, it was heat cured by oven baking for 30 mins @ 250 deg F, followed by 30 mins cooling, then 30 mins @ 450 deg F. This improves the durability and chemical resistance of the finish tremendously (the same heat curing can occur in service, but the finish is not that durable until heat cured, and I figured I'd be handling the parts quite a bit during the design/build).

...there, aren't you glad you asked!

MikeRJ

posted on 5/1/05 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Psuedo7, have you checked out the electrolytic rust removal process? Many members including myself have used this technique successfully.

[Edited on 5/1/05 by MikeRJ]

Pseudo7

posted on 5/1/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
MikeRJ:
Yes I've read the link and threads, but I'm not comfortable subjecting my house and family to potentially harmful hydrogen gas and toxic waste! I already have the wire brush "equipment" and can deal w/the noise and dust (ear plugs and filter mask, sweep up after dust settles...you know the drill)...plus I have access to a media blast cabinet if need be.

Cheers.

Alfalfameister

posted on 6/1/05 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

...there, aren't you glad you asked!

Well, I'm glad he asked!!! With a little cut&paste, your message is now in my "Notebook of Tips".

--Alf
--Manila, Philippines

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.