Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TR7 as donor and chassis adjustments
Replicar328

posted on 26/11/20 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of motoring history.

William Lyons of Jaguar visited the Triumph factory and saw the prototype of the TR7. He took a while looking at it from the side and then, walking around it, said "Oh dear, it's the same on the other side".

Apparently the crease in the side was put there to reduce the resonant drumming of the monocoque chassis at speed, not an original design feature.

The TR2 through TR6 were all brilliant cars, using the incredible two litre standard vanguard engine, used in cars, tractors and armoured cars in WW2. The 1949 Triumph Roadster used the same.

Working for AP in the early 1970's I was visiting the factory with the AP/Triumph Sales Accounts Manager to discuss brake and clutch developments when everyone walked out because Lord Stokes had just cancelled the development of the Triumph Lynx (a car which combined the stag front appearance, four seats and a dolomite appearance back end) "because it would compete against the Rover 2000".

In my view, Stokes contributed more to the demise of the British motor industry than anyone else. Wickipedia is far too kind to him, and I'm trying to be nice.

axle

posted on 5/9/23 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:
Originally posted by Paul M
probably none - cant think of a single kit that would use a TR7 ( or any car thats been out of production for 35+ years)

Tr7 engine was also a terrible engine so not even worth considering just using that, low power and prone to leaking like a sieve

Always best policy is to find a kit that you really want to build , own and drive - then start looking for donor componets it
has been enginered to take.

There were kits that used teh dolomite running gear, so same engine, rear axle a little wider on the TR7, but not much.
Engines not necessarily leaky, mine never has. Similar power to the pinto of the same era, so very much of its time. Worst part is the head studs.... otherwise the engine drives much better than the paper figures suggest. (assuming you have never driven one)

But agree, there must be better, more modern options out there. Like the MX5/miata

will have to agree very strongly.

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

JC

posted on 8/9/23 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
So here’s a leap….I recall that the Triumph slant 4 was used by Saab for many years - just with a new head?
Use TR7 gearbox and back axle, drop in a Saab……..turbo………see where I’m going? Lol

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
axle

posted on 8/9/23 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the update.

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.