Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: You may have seen this one....
Alan B

posted on 7/3/05 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
You may have seen this one....

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/GTMkit.html

Not 100% my cup of tea styling-wise, but a very good professional effort IMO.
Should end up as a serious Ultima rival, although I just can't see it being much (if any) cheaper to build.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 7/3/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Tail too long, too 'corvette'. Far too much of 'Americans trying to make a Ferrari', it is pretty much a rip off of the Italian supercars but it just seems far too big.

That chassis looks incredibly weak around half way up the A pillar area - maybe it's just the way it looks in rear 3/4 picture?

Sorry - think it's a pig

quality may be ok though

[Edited on 7/3/05 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Alan B

posted on 7/3/05 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
Tail too long, too 'corvette'. Far too much of 'Americans trying to make a Ferrari', it is pretty much a rip off of the Italian supercars but it just seems far too big......

My, "not 100% my cup of tea" in a nutshell...well summarised.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chunkielad

posted on 7/3/05 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
If the spoiler area on the tail was about a foot higher it'd be nicer -I love the front though!
Fozzie

posted on 7/3/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Nope totally agree with Alan and Dave here, do not like it at all as per Daves reasons......
Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

CD-5

posted on 7/3/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
bear ressemblance with the Ford GT.

i like the front, the rear is too low....

indykid

posted on 7/3/05 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
the rear quarterlight really doesnt fit with the rest of the glass.

i agree, it looks odd to put it lightly.

a beauty it is surely not. give me an ultima any day, preferably that 1000 brake one.

tom

kreb

posted on 7/3/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
As good a company as factory five is in general, it's really surprising to see them whiff on this one. Don't they know that what they are doing is esentially building a supermodel? Who want's a supermodel with an ugly butt?

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

chrisf

posted on 7/3/05 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
They nailed the color though!

--Chris

Hellfire

posted on 7/3/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
As above really.... no hips and arse too low and slung. Would be much improved with hips...

Jermyn

posted on 9/3/05 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I enjoyed all the pictures of the chassis on the website. I have yet to see another kit-car type manufacturer offer so many pictures of their prototype frames in the name of secrecy. I have to agree that the frame could use some stiffening up.

As far as styling goes, the front looks like a cross of GT40 with a hint of Noble. the nose just too long IMHO. Other than that, I think styled real nicely.

Back is reminiscent of 70's vettes...with a cheesy aftermarket spoiler. No good at all.

What's with the trailer-type taillights? You'd think if they were going to put all that time into carbon fibre headlamp buckets that they would have tried a little harder with the taillamps.

Donor Car-----VETTE? Seems with all the stuff you'd need to build this thing you'd have to tear apart a perfectly good vette.

All the pictures they have posted and I didn't catch one with the door open. I wonder what the sills look like?

If life is a race do you want to be the first one to finish?

violentblue

posted on 9/3/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
looks likr they tryed to cross porsche and corvette styling (doesn't really go together well does it).
sort of a Poorvette.

I have to admit their new rear end design is a big improvement, but I still don't care for it much.

a few pics of my other projects

Spottty

posted on 9/3/05 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
It would have been a really cool car if they used the ford mustang as a donor again. Now they use a C5 Vette. I cant even buy one of those for less than $35k. And if I did buy one I would feel really bad tearing it apart to make something that looks about the same.

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

violentblue

posted on 10/3/05 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
yes a less expensive donor would have been a much better idea.

I was thinking of using a toyota supra for a similar setup, alloy multilink suspension, use a porsche (or audi) gearbox mated to a toyota quad cam v6, add a TRD supercharger kit for a little more go, or a turbo even. and you'd have a potent performer ad less than 1/3 the price

a few pics of my other projects

Jermyn

posted on 11/3/05 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
What years of the Supra use the alloy multilink suspesion setup you're talkig about?

If life is a race do you want to be the first one to finish?

Ratman

posted on 15/3/05 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just looking at the detail of the tube frame, I am surprised that the main roll-over hoop is not braced with diagonals at all. It will just collapse downward (upward?) if the car lands on it's roof. Also, the foot of the A pillar frame fixes to a very weak outrigger. But there is a lot of X bracing in the roof plane. Looks like it is designed for torsional stiffness rather than safety. Brian
Jonte

posted on 15/3/05 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Looks OK at a glance.
Somewhere between Corvette, Ferrari and Saleen S7

Click it

Alez

posted on 18/3/05 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
"performs like a McClaren F-1 or the Ferrari Enzo"

Yeah right

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.