Board logo

Kawasaki ZZR1100c engine
smart51 - 31/3/05 at 05:10 PM

I have spotted an engine that I like the look of - a Kawasaki ZZR1100c for a fairly reasonable price. I looked up the C version on the internet which makes it a 1990 - 1992 model year.

Is a bike engine this old goind to be unreliable? I didn't think that bikes lasted all that well.

How much would be a good price? It includes most / all ancilaries.
Does anyone have any opinions on this engine?

Peteff - 31/3/05 at 05:49 PM

I don't know about in a car but in the bike they were a stonking engine. My mate had a 'M' registered one from new and swapped it last year for a Hayabusa. He never had any engine trouble and it was tested to the full extent, toured and run what you brunged as well.

RogerM - 31/3/05 at 06:29 PM

I had one a while ago. At 40,000 ish miles (well you got to use it haven't you!!!) it needed crank bearings and I did have some trouble with gearboxes too. Nothing too nasty though.

My only concern would be the clutch, not sure if you could up rate it enough to stop it slipping in a car.

Great engine though, 145 - 150 BHP and plenty of torque.

Might be worth a try if the price is right!

soggy - 31/3/05 at 07:46 PM

so nobody has heard of radical sportscars

Guinness - 31/3/05 at 08:29 PM

I'm using the ZZR1100 C engine in my Indy. Although I've not driven it yet, it runs.

I bought it because it was between £200 - £300 cheaper than a 900cc Fireblade. The bigger capacity should have more torque (although I haven't checked the figures) and you can get away with the 3.62 diff.

If you decide not to buy it, let me know, I might fancy a spare or build another car (don't tell the wife).

Cheers Mike

colibriman - 31/3/05 at 09:35 PM

quote:

I might fancy a spare or build another car (don't tell the wife).

Mike,

Maybe yer wife is one step ahead of you.....maybe she'll buy it

Guinness - 1/4/05 at 07:09 AM

No way Colin,

she's got her eye on a 5.7l Chevy V8 at the moment, she wants a Cobra.

Unless i could join two ZZR1100's into a 2.2l V8??

Mike

ned - 1/4/05 at 08:31 AM

wasn't the zzr engine the one they used in the early radical clubsports?

Ned.

phil_far - 1/4/05 at 03:22 PM

Dax uses the ZZR 1100 and they have their yellowblack BEC featured in the Feb issue of KitCar magazine. Its was full of praise especially in traffic were it seems that the engine is quite tourqey!!

Do not know whether this biases your choice

phelpsa - 2/4/05 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
wasn't the zzr engine the one they used in the early radical clubsports?

Ned.

Aswell as the GSXR1100.

Adam