Board logo

Progress! Weeee!
suparuss - 6/8/05 at 11:00 AM

Finally got me engine out of the car, which is a pretty big stepping stone cos i can get it cleaned up and measure the thing for auto cad so i can finally design the arse end of me chassis! hired a crane form hss for the day for £23 whichh aint too bad, not now its in the garge i can put a girder across the roof and use me chain hoist if i need to shift it.
any hoo, heres a pic-

dirty engine
dirty engine

a quick scrape of the blackness reveals there is metal under there after all. should keep me busy for a while!

Russ.

shades - 6/8/05 at 12:09 PM

what audi di that come out off. Like the idea of the audi 5 pot in a mid engine beast

suparuss - 6/8/05 at 03:06 PM

was from an '86 coupe gt. 136bhp standard, and torque was awsome in the lower revs. not to mention the noise it makes! thats down to the fact that only 2 cylinders fire together, the rest fire individually hence it sounds like a V8. plus since are spread equally round the crankshaft its really smooth too. cant wait to get it running again, especially without an exaust!!

shades - 6/8/05 at 03:29 PM

agree with the noise... need to post a wav when you get it running

Lotusmark2 - 6/8/05 at 03:38 PM

drove one of them years ago....what a motor!, I shall watch with interest

Aloupol - 7/8/05 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
thats down to the fact that only 2 cylinders fire together, the rest fire individually hence it sounds like a V8.

???
AFAIK no engine have cylinders sparking together.
On a 4 in row: one spark each 180° (one complete cycle is 720°, 4 cylinders, so 720:4=180).
On a 5 in row: 720:5=144 so one spark each 144°.
On a V8: 720:8=90 so one spark each 90°, this gives the optimal angle between the two cylinders rows.
On a 4 in row the 1 an 4 as well as the 2 and 3 seem synchronized but are actually 360° offset, so exact oposite.
This said I agree with the lovely noise of Audi 5 cylinders, with the right manifolds it will be a marvel..
Which kind of body do you plan to build?

[Edited on 7/8/05 by Aloupol]

suparuss - 7/8/05 at 08:39 PM

yes m8 you are right about the audi, they do fire individually, i realised as i was pratting around with the engine and turning the crank. its the equal spacing around the crank that makes it smoooooth. think 4cyls fire 2 - 2 though, unless the intake and exaust stokes alternate, not sure.
the body for me car isnt really decided yet, ill be using a lancia stratos windscreen and lights from hayabusa bikes, which may or may not give you an idea.

violentblue - 8/8/05 at 04:03 AM

intake and exhaust strokes alternate on a 4 cyl engine. so you have 1 cyl firing every 180 degrees.