Board logo

Done this before?
Mr Whippy - 29/11/07 at 03:29 PM

Hi,

First time I think I have posted on the midi section but a new project beckons so if you will have a look at that picture and ignore if you can the mess can you make out the layout of the engine and box? I'm wondering has anyone done a midi like that?

What's it meant to be? type FW11B into google Images and you'll see... Rescued attachment concept.JPG
Rescued attachment concept.JPG

donut - 29/11/07 at 03:37 PM

What engine is that?

02GF74 - 29/11/07 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
What engine is that?

tut tut you can do better.

notice distributor cap and twin port exhasut manifold and V shaped engine mated to a Ford gearbox - perhaps a Ford V4 - fitted to consuls/early granada (guessing cars here but pretty sure ford did v4).

... and answering the question - must have been done before but not something I would know about - it would result in a pretty long (insert "unnecessariyly long" in front) wheelbase.

[Edited on 29/11/07 by 02GF74]

cloudy - 29/11/07 at 03:42 PM

that's going to be one serious long wheelbase!

D Beddows - 29/11/07 at 03:46 PM

And quite a gear lever linkage

worX - 29/11/07 at 03:54 PM

LOL - that was my first thought!

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
And quite a gear lever linkage

matt_claydon - 29/11/07 at 03:57 PM

quote:

notice distributor cap and twin port exhasut manifold and V shaped engine mated to a Ford gearbox - perhaps a Ford V4

Distributor cap would indicate to me that it's a V6!

[Edited on 29/11/07 by matt_claydon]

daviep - 29/11/07 at 03:57 PM

Looks like a V6 to me?

smart51 - 29/11/07 at 03:57 PM

I guess you could sit either side of the engine, like a truck. It would be as wide as a truck then though.

mookaloid - 29/11/07 at 03:58 PM

have look at this thread

Mr Whippy - 29/11/07 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
that's going to be one serious long wheelbase!

Tut tut it's my 2.8 v6, no look at this picture (the one that gave me the idea in the first place) replace that fuel tank with the v6 and bingo it all fits I have layed it out on the floor and it's only a couple of feet longer than the 7. As for the gearlinkage a) autobox b) push pull link as per the F1 car... Rescued attachment 01 f1.jpg
Rescued attachment 01 f1.jpg

mcerd1 - 29/11/07 at 04:10 PM

yeh ford did make a few V4's
the essex V6 started life as one and there was a V4 cologne too

but I fairly sure thats a 2.8 cologne V6

here's a tarted up one from burtons site:

[Edited on 29/11/07 by mcerd1]

damm, I'm a slow at this typing

isn't the two port manifold bucause the 2.8 has stupid Siamese ports on the head ?

[Edited on 29/11/07 by mcerd1]

Hammerhead - 29/11/07 at 04:12 PM

i'm sure you could build it that way. But if it was me I'd be looking for a tansaxle gearbox..would be lighter and shorter I reckon.

02GF74 - 29/11/07 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:

notice distributor cap and twin port exhasut manifold and V shaped engine mated to a Ford gearbox - perhaps a Ford V4

You are assuming the distributor cap is the correct one and not put on ther to fool you. It's a V4 I tell you

It is it is it is It is it is it is It is it is it is It is it is it is It is it is it is !!!!!! So there

fatfranky - 29/11/07 at 04:24 PM

I was thinkinfg the same about transaxle, possibly Audi or renault

Have a look at what Mark Chandler has done here, seems to make more sense

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=78360

Edit

In fact why not get the whole Audi V6 or V8 engine and box then there's no adapter to worry about either

[Edited on 29/11/07 by fatfranky]

Mr Whippy - 29/11/07 at 04:31 PM

Here's another view, you can see the wheelbase is not much at all and best thing is that heavy engine is smack in the center of the car a true mid engine

silly bugs roof is in the way, tisk

[Edited on 29/11/07 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment overhead.JPG
Rescued attachment overhead.JPG

snapper - 29/11/07 at 04:33 PM

Its a V6 i tell you with siamesed ports the V4 which a mate of mine had in his Capri had incredably small rockercovers and you could have fitted 2 in the capri.
As for the layout i have also seen this done with a Jag V12 engine gearbox and axle and it looked SH1T, far to much flat body behind and driver sitting so far forward he was practicaly over the front wheels. If you are making a midi use a transaxle and a decent engine, the older V6 Kent or the early Cologne will only make 125bhp unless you throw big money at them. IMHO

wilkingj - 29/11/07 at 04:36 PM

Its a 2.8litre v6 (could be the 2.3l)
Its got 3 spark plugs, and a 6 pot Dizzy are the giveaways. They had a siamesed and a single exhaust port on each side.

Had one of these in my old Land rover.. Went like hell.. Revved very well.

Downside is the Cam geartrain has a fibre cog and these wear unevenly with the resistance from the valves feeding back to the teeth on the cog.

2.9 litre v6 had a chain.

mookaloid - 29/11/07 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
quote:

You are assuming the distributor cap is the correct one and not put on ther to fool you. It's a V4 I tell you

It is it is it is It is it is it is It is it is it is It is it is it is It is it is it is !!!!!! So there

Deffo V6 - I can see two spark plugs and the empty plug hole at the front.

Also agree a colgne as the essex had dizzy at the front and not siamesed ports.

Cheers

Mook

wilkingj - 29/11/07 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
If you are making a midi use a transaxle and a decent engine, the older V6 Kent or the early Cologne will only make 125bhp unless you throw big money at them. IMHO

Agreed... If you want a ford V6, then put the 2.9 Cossie out of a granada in it. 200Bhp out of the box.
The 2.8 and 2.9's were not very tuneable, mainly down to breathing problems, and not being able to open the inlet tracts up.

Mr Whippy - 29/11/07 at 04:43 PM

2.8 v6 140bhp, have replaced the fiber timing cog with a metal one. Had this engine in the JBA Falcon but it ended up plain dangerous and unable to stop (crashed it twice). I've got these huge wheels a recon engine & gearbox, limited slip diff, huge brakes and about 80 of the mechanics already bought and I intend on using them...

mcerd1 - 29/11/07 at 04:54 PM

well that 4 of us mentoned the 'stupid Siamese ports' in 1/2 an hour

the 2.9 is a big improvment on paper - timing chain, no Siamese ports and so on - but not much more power for all that

so I'd also say if you really want a V6 - get a cossie 24v
(at least it would be an easy(ish) swap later as long as there is a bit of room round the engine and your gearbox can coupe)

MikeR - 29/11/07 at 05:07 PM

Malloc (i think) did a modified tail shaft for a type 9 to reduce the size. Might be worth looking into them as it would reduce some of the rear size (i thought about this previously for a simple rear engined car ....)

Mr Whippy - 29/11/07 at 05:09 PM

I had a 2.9 in my Capri Mk1, it sounded far nicer and had more torque than the 2.8 though I had bother with the chain being worn. The 2.8's ports are not quite as bad as they first look as when you go through the timing sequence there is a big gap before each cylinder try’s to use the port (i.e. you never have two cylinders venting at the same time). That engine in the Falcon could wheel spin in 3rd from standstill so in this new car which will be half the weight, I think it’s plenty.

[Edited on 29/11/07 by Mr Whippy]

oadamo - 29/11/07 at 05:12 PM

break the mould and do it. if it doesnt work just use an audi box then cut the back down to make it shorter job done.
adam

Volvorsport - 29/11/07 at 05:24 PM

well i thought about this , and the 360 does have a transaxle (laid out like that and alfa does), so it could be done , it may be even easier just lob off teh tailshaft and start from there .

im sure you could get the gear linkage in aswell .

teh f1 cars and big powerful sprint motors do use gearboxes which have quite long bellhousings to make weight distribution better .

oadamo - 29/11/07 at 05:32 PM

whippy what happened to your locost chassis it looks like you have most things to get it up and running.
adam

Confused but excited. - 29/11/07 at 05:39 PM

With that layout, the big supercharger and scoop on top of the engine won't block your line of sight, so no SVA problems.

Mr Whippy - 29/11/07 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
whippy what happened to your locost chassis it looks like you have most things to get it up and running.
adam

err that's it there (or whats left of it) I was just not happy with the whole 7 thing and just kept thinking that the 7 wasn't what I wanted, I wanted a single seater and after seeing some of the ones on the site I though bu**er it I'm going to make one, so I dismantled the 7...I think it was the huge tires and wheels that did it in the end.

Oh the chassis is sitting outside till I move it.

[Edited on 29/11/07 by Mr Whippy]

James - 29/11/07 at 07:48 PM

Why not automatically solve a bunch of issues by using an Audi transaxle.

I've read they're good for 500bhp.

Cheers,
James

NeilP - 29/11/07 at 08:37 PM

Cossie v6 as stated - Comes with the autobox (strengthen internals) straight from the Granada donor - One on ebay for £100 t'other day...

200bhp as received
300bhp for not much £££
Can go to silly power in increments of £...

TheGecko - 30/11/07 at 03:31 AM

You could always take a leaf from Len Terry (Racing Car Design & Development) or Lamborghini for that matter. Turn the engine/box around and put the box between the seats, then run a long propshaft (driven by duplex chain from the box) past the engine to the rear end. Lambo do it with gears and the propshaft hides in the sump. Terry did it with the LT24 (or was it LT23) prototype with a Ford V6 etc in that config. I wont be home until late tonight but if I remember I'll scan the diagram from the book. Chain also gives you all kinds of extra ratio options

Dominic

[Edited on 30/11/2007 by TheGecko]

Fred W B - 30/11/07 at 06:21 AM

Hi Whippy - where you been?

What is the wheel base dimesion you have now?

With a Rover V8 and audi transaxle I battled to fit my feet in with a 2400 mm wheelbase.

I would suggest you lay out the pedal box / front suspension mounts / steering rack positon etc before you go any futher

Cheers

Fred W B

Mr Whippy - 30/11/07 at 12:34 PM

Hi Fred,

Been welding up old bangers and building houses...

I'm getting a wheelbase of just under 3m! Sounds excessive, not that I'm worried as the cars almost 2m's wide , It's almost the same size as my Volvo 850, but I've seen F1 cars in real life and the first thing that strikes you is their huge and nothing like the size of a 7. This car when finished will have quite a presence on the road.

I'm getting away with this layout due to the unusually large fuel tank size of the Williams Honda and the compact size of the v6 I have (no wider than my seat and very short (me being short helps also! ). I'm waiting on a copy of Autocad to arrive but have most of the structure sorted out. I've settled on a long steel back bone chassis with sheet ally box sidepods. So should be very light but with good crash protection. The body work will be non-structural and quite thin.

[Edited on 30/11/07 by Mr Whippy]

iank - 30/11/07 at 01:23 PM

There is no reason not to do it that way except it's more compact and lighter to use a transaxle.

The mid engined 750 racers do exactly the same thing with a live axle due to the regs requiring the use of the original running gear from a robin reliant.

Good so see the mad ideas didn't abate in your absence

smart1275gt - 30/11/07 at 05:45 PM

I like your style! Go for it! I'm a fan of the 2.8 lump and would sound really nice. What about a tickford turbo conversion?

Mr Whippy - 30/11/07 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart1275gt
I like your style! Go for it! I'm a fan of the 2.8 lump and would sound really nice. What about a tickford turbo conversion?

cheers , I've heard the engine before and it's nice, as for a turbo or two hmm maybe in the future as I think it will take me a while before I start feeling it's too slow...

johnston - 1/12/07 at 06:38 PM

if your gonna be usin it on the road where are your legs gonna be in relation to front axle with some of the prats driving on our roads you wouldnt want someone driving over your feet

i remember some law coming out there had to be so much body infront of occupants hence why all the jap vans started coming out with funny bumbers while back dunno if sva would go by same rule.

Mr Whippy - 1/12/07 at 11:07 PM

That’s a good point; I don't think there are any minimum distances for the SVA. There have been quite a few single seat cars done on this site and their axle’s are quite close to your feet and they passed.

On the car I intend on doing, the wheel obviously if nowhere near the driver and there is still the nose cone and spoiler to take a crash. I'm going to make the nose forward of the pedals out of a block of crushable foam to act as a buffer and a 5mm sheet of ally behind that to spread the load. The cabin will be a double braced space frame with a steel floor so should be plenty strong enough.

One of the reasons for me doing the car now is the fear that future regulations will soon make it imposable to do it...

[Edited on 1/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

oadamo - 3/12/07 at 06:43 PM

made your mind up yet what your doing. i think you should just go for it.
adam

Mr Whippy - 4/12/07 at 08:32 AM

oh yes I'm building it

oadamo - 4/12/07 at 05:31 PM

well done get some pics up when you get going. it should be fast as fack when its done.
adam