Board logo

DeDion Kit
andyace - 12/1/05 at 04:12 PM

Hello All,

Could any one tell me what is included in the GTS DeDion rear axle kit and what I will have to make/source elsewhere? I have the donor Sierra.

I understand that there are some chassis mods as detailed in the PDF. Do I have to make the diff mounts or are they included?

Trailing arms, panhard rod ?

Many thanks, Andy

flak monkey - 12/1/05 at 04:23 PM

IIRC the trailing arms and panhard rod are included. GTS also sell diff mounts (think they are in the chassis section..) which i think you need to buy separately.

Mods as in pdf as you say.

David

big_wasa - 13/1/05 at 12:22 AM

Information above is NOT corect! I have just received my de deion axle from darren at gts and what you get for the £140 as advertised on his site is just the one piece which is the de dion axle all outher bits are seperate! Nice piece worth the dosh, when you think about the work involved in converting a live axle its a much beter propersition . pics in my archive

andyace - 13/1/05 at 10:34 AM

Thanks 4 that,

Given that, what do I need to also order to get my rear axle fixed on and working from GTS?

At a guess :

De Dion Axle
Trailing Arms
Panhard Rod
Bushs (I assume these dont come with arms and rod)
Something to connect panhard rod to axle?
Diff mounts

Am I missing anything and does GTS supply all of these ?

Also looking at the pic are there brackets on the axle from GTS which connect the trailing arms or do you have to make these yourself as in a live axle?

[Edited on 13/1/05 by andyace]

flak monkey - 13/1/05 at 01:30 PM

OK my bad...

Avoneer - 13/1/05 at 05:01 PM

I though (according to a previous post by Daz) that everything was included apart from the diff brackets, poly bushes and the rod end for the panhard rod???????
Pat...

ned - 13/1/05 at 05:06 PM

mine included the axle, trailing arms, panhard rod and bolts/bushes. no dif mounts, bought them seperatley from darren.

Ned.

Avoneer - 13/1/05 at 05:20 PM

Quotes from Daz:

"In the £150 you get the Panhard rod, DeDion axle, trailing arms. The only thing you need is the diff mounts unless you fancy making your own, they are only £12."

big_wasa - 13/1/05 at 06:35 PM

It was having read the previous posts that I purchased my axle from Darren..It said nothing on his website about the outher bits being inclueded and they where not present when delivered? I was charged £140 not the £150 as stated in previous posts? So Asumed prices must have gone up? Cost of four trailing arms and panhard rod minus rose joint is another £67.50... Arms, £12.5x4 plus £17.50 for the panhard rod?So if Darren could shed some light on this matter I would be greatfull !
Another pic of my axle...

big_wasa - 13/1/05 at 06:40 PM

de dion from Darren at GTS...less than a month ago!

andyace - 16/1/05 at 09:18 PM

Anyone bought the DeDion Axle kit, seems to be hit and miss as to what you get.

JoelP - 16/1/05 at 09:51 PM

ring him and ask, his number is on his website. best way to solve a problem...

chunkielad - 16/1/05 at 11:26 PM

I emailed Darren a few days ago as I need to go with the Sierra back end - awaiting a reply - will inform you when I know what is happening.

ady8077 - 16/1/05 at 11:30 PM

Isn't he at the autosports show?

Adrian

chunkielad - 16/1/05 at 11:44 PM

Bugger!! I was hoping to order in the next day or so once I sorted the contents out!!

We may have to wait another few days then!!

andyace - 17/1/05 at 06:27 PM

I have got a reply from Darren and the answer is that the axle alone is £150, see my calculations below for the rest of the costs. As you can see to get get my chassis rolling is going to set me back about £750 ( Gulp, the wifes going to kill me, she was ok when she saw Rons books title!!!!!)

Anyone have any cheaper options 4 me please.

Darrens Reply :

The DeDion rear set up you require is:-

DeDion axle - £150
Panhard rod - £17.50
Trailing arms - 4 off at £12.50 each
Rod end for panahrd rod - £12.50

You may also need diff mounts - £12.50 a pair and poly bushes a £2 each (9 off required, or £48.00 for a full car set)

The front is 2 top wishbones(£48), 2 bottom wishbones(£70), 1 pair of mushroom adaptors (£32.50), 1 pair steering rack extensions (£16), 2 transit ball joints (£13), 2 maxi ball joints (£32), 2 locknuts (£2)

Kind regards,

Darren

My Calculations :

Rear :
DeDion Axle £150
Panhard Rod £17.50
Trailing Arms £50
Rod End £12.50
Diff Mounts £12.50
Delivery £17
------
£259.50
Front :
2 Top Wishbones £48
2 Bot Wishbones £70
Mushroom Adapters £32.50
St Rack Extensions £16
2 Transit Ball Joints £13
2 Maxi Ball Joints £32
2 Locknuts £2
------
£213.50

Poly Bushes (Car Set) £48

Adjustable Shock Kit £220
Shock Kit Delivery £12

Total To Get It Rolling : £753

Avoneer - 17/1/05 at 06:38 PM

Have things changed then as a recent post by Daz said everything was included (i'll try and find the link and post it) - kind of put me off now,
Pat...

andyace - 17/1/05 at 07:00 PM

Hi Could you give me a comparable price to get me what I am after.

I can not see a price of £995 anywhere on the website. Cheapest kit is £1292.50

Also I have a 2.0 Pinto donor, is this going to fit in the Indy?

britishtrident - 17/1/05 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
if youve not started building then you would be better off buying a starter kit ours is £995 you get more including most pannels

That is a good buy

flak monkey - 17/1/05 at 07:16 PM

Are the details of the Indy actually on the mk site? If so i cant find them!

Assuming mk only have one website...

www.mkengineering.co.uk ??

Avoneer - 17/1/05 at 07:49 PM

I'm still confused:
This is what Darren said on this post:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=10693
"In the £150 you get the Panhard rod, DeDion axle, trailing arms. The only thing you need is the diff mounts unless you fancy making your own"
Pat...

Hellfire - 17/1/05 at 08:26 PM

Clicky

MK Sportscars link above.

Flak monkey, is this what you're looking for?

[Edited on 17-1-05 by Hellfire]

andyace - 17/1/05 at 08:43 PM

Can anyone solve the great Dedion Kit mystery !!!! Need to order something soon.

Oh and I can still not see the Indy kit for £995.

flak monkey - 17/1/05 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Clicky

MK Sportscars link above.

Flak monkey, is this what you're looking for?

It is indeed, thank you very much

undecided - 17/1/05 at 08:58 PM

Tut tut a feel some arseyness in the air!

andyace - 17/1/05 at 10:54 PM

Sorry undecided, lost you a little bit there.

All I am trying to determine is what people who have bought the kit think is included as previous posts seem to contradict what the GTS website is saying.

But you are quite right and I will take it up with Darren myself. Will let you all know when I get an answer.

dozracing - 18/1/05 at 06:59 AM

Would guess the Indy is £995 + VAT. Last time i spoke to Protech MK's sales have fallen through the roof. 200 cars one year and down to 80 by my calculations last year, whereas looks like Luego have gained what MK lost.

There is no way i could survive running MK on only 80 kits a year, even with all the parts sales. They must make considerably more profit on each item than i do.

Did anyone else see the Robin Hood monster at the Autosport show? God have they got a cheek or what trying to sell that as a race car. Lord help us.

Why do you need 3 pages of discussion, when 1 email to me would suffice?

The GTS Locost kit is the cheapest and most comprehensive around. If you look back a month i'm doing an offer where i will beat any of the competitions offers, either it'll be cheaper for the kit, or i'll provide more stuff.

The DeDion axle is £150 on its own and the trailing arms etc, are not included.

What i have offered people is for January, DeDion axle kits are free delivery.

Kind regards,

Darren

[Edited on 18/1/05 by dozracing]

[Edited on 18/1/05 by dozracing]

chunkielad - 18/1/05 at 12:11 PM

Emailed Darren and got kind courteous replies. Issues have been dealt with swiftly (apart from when he had the cheek to be at a show)

Thanks Darren.

ned - 18/1/05 at 01:15 PM

Well, I'm confused:

--------------------------------------------
posted on 9/2/04 at 04:47 PM

I've just priced up what I'd need for he dedion rear end and it has come to [shock] £282.50 + delivery [/shock]

this isn't much cheaper than the mk rear end which i had priced up a couple of months ago.

what makes me even more annoyed is that i had a set of trailing arms and a panhard rod that i sold for only £25 and the trailing arms alone from gts are £44.

I'm annoyed now

Ned.

----------------------------------------
posted on 9/2/04 at 09:26 PM

Ned,

How do you work out that its £200+?

In the £150 you get the Panhard rod, DeDion axle, trailing arms. The only thing you need is the diff mounts unless you fancy making your own, they are only £12. So its a long long way off your sums.

Please don't publish prices like this when they are inaccurate as its gives people the wrong impression.

Whats more important is the comparison of prices against the other suppliers and i think you'll find that you can't get parts from MK or Luego cheaper. You probably can from Lolocost, but, then why would you want to settle for inferior quality for a pound or two saving.

Kind regards,
Darren

-----------------------------------

That was coming up for a year ago, so that's inflation i guess..?!

chunkielad - 18/1/05 at 02:20 PM

Yes those prices are a year ago mate - maybe there's a problem with steel prices, maybe he was so cheap before he couldn't make a living and has had to put the price up. At the end of the day, if you don't want to pay it, buy somewhere else.

I'm not being arsey mate I just see it from the self employed side of things - My prices are about double what they were last year as I UNDERPRICED myself lastyear to get a bigger client base. I LOST a LOT of money!!!

blueshift - 18/1/05 at 02:25 PM

I don't really want to add to the pile of people saying "i think maybe it's like this" and so on, but I think maybe it's like this:

I seem to remember talking to darren about the pricing and what's included in the kit. He changed fabricators a while back and his costs went up, I think he opted to split the dedion kit rather than just rack up the price, so you pay similar money for just the axle now where you used to get the other bits.

maybe that's partly because people like me keep pestering him with silly questions like "can I have the kit without the rear arms because I'm using bluebird ones.. or without xyz because I'm trying to save a tenner and make my own..."

By the way, I have the dedion bar (custom built with 4" wider bracketry) and various other stuff from darren; shocks, bushes, quickrack - and the quality is universally excellent.

[Edited on 18/1/05 by blueshift]

undecided - 18/1/05 at 07:31 PM

what bugs me is the fact you want or don't want to pay for things but insist your car is worth thousands when finished.......having seen some of the "homemade" tat at shows makes me wonder how they got sva in the first place let alone be worth anything.

So unless you can make it yourself (not a half arsed bodged effort either)you have to buy it..i think the law should change and that fabricated parts be made by reputable firms and not bodged in a shed somewhere to later emerge as the next "killing machine"

undecided - 18/1/05 at 07:34 PM

doing some half arsed course at tech to learn how to use a mig doesn't make anybody a fabricator....that takes time!

Peteff - 18/1/05 at 07:40 PM

The only thing that's failed on my home made piece of tat is a kosher Maxi bottom ball joint. For somebody who's undecided you sound like you've already made your mind up about Locost builders.

undecided - 18/1/05 at 08:20 PM

No not at all, it just annoys me when there are those with nowt better to do than bitch about why so and so charges x and the others charge y......when you can make it yourself for a lot less........What i am saying is:
Firms such as GTS, MK etc charge what they charge because they need to earn a LIVING and whilst do so they have raised the quality of Kit cars no end.........Homebrewed cars can and do bugger that hard work up........Not saying they are all tat..but a lot are!!!!!

JoelP - 18/1/05 at 08:56 PM

Well mine certainly is...

craig1410 - 18/1/05 at 09:49 PM

Don't assume that just because something is made by someone else that it must be better than something you made at home. In many cases nothing could be farther from the truth!! As was said above, manufacturers have to pay costs and still make a profit. For some that means cheap and cheerful, for others it means beautifully engineered but expensive. Somewhere in the middle you will find a nice balance.

I once spent most of a day making up 8 suspension brackets, which I could have bought for about £1.50 each. Why? Because I wanted to get on with my build and didn't want to have to wait for them to be sent to me. I also wanted them to be the ideal size for my purposes to accommodate castor adjustment washers. I charge my hobby time at £5 per hour and therefore my brackets are worth say £40 instead of the £12 they would have cost me from a 3rd party. Does that make my car worth more? Yes and no!!

Anyway, in Ned's defense, I think he was justifiably confused after getting slapped down previously for quoting what has turned out, 1 year on, to be the correct price. I don't think Ned is complaining about the price as £150 inc vat is fair for a de-dion axle. I was once quoted £150 by Dax for their de-dion axle without any brackets but they didn't really want to sell me one and were quoting a 3 week lead time. That was nearly two years ago too!

Cheers,
Craig.

ned - 19/1/05 at 11:18 AM

Craig,

Point well made, thanks.

Ned.

[Edited on 19/1/05 by ned]

Lawnmower - 24/1/05 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chunkielad
Yes those prices are a year ago mate - maybe there's a problem with steel prices, maybe he was so cheap before he couldn't make a living and has had to put the price up. At the end of the day, if you don't want to pay it, buy somewhere else.

I'm not being arsey mate I just see it from the self employed side of things - My prices are about double what they were last year as I UNDERPRICED myself lastyear to get a bigger client base. I LOST a LOT of money!!!

I think steel prices doubled last year, Blame the Chinese- I think they are on a manufacturing boom.

Thats also why scrappy's at the moment will collect your old car for free, instead of you paying them for it.

(I may be wrong)

Inflation sucks, Imagine what the figure would be if house prices got taken into the equation.

AdamR - 1/2/05 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I charge my hobby time at £5 per hour...

Crikey! By that logic, hand-cutting the steel for 60% of my chassis has cost me about £250. I could have bought my self a nice electric saw for that!

undecided - 1/2/05 at 07:49 PM

well some people think doing it themselves will be cheaper but usually it isn't because the resale value will and always does reflect this.

JoelP - 1/2/05 at 08:35 PM

i like the idea of applying a value to hobby time - some stuff is free (breaking things!) others would be 5er an hour, but some stuff would have to be £25 an hour (like pissing about with cycle wing brackets)

Peteff - 1/2/05 at 09:26 PM

The front wing mounts should be the dearest part of the car eh Joel

craig1410 - 1/2/05 at 09:34 PM

The figure you come up with is irrelevant but I personally think that you have simply got to value your own time in some way.

Try this:

Each time you fabricate something whether it be a single suspension bracket or a complete de-dion axle, add up the cost of the parts and labour. Then compare this with a similar off-the-shelf item and see how they match up...

Hopefully what you will find is that as you gain experience you will be able to approach and perhaps even better the cost of an off-the-shelf item.

Another way to look at it is to build something and count the hours you took to build it (be honest...). Then take the off-the-shelf price and divide by the number of hours you took to build it. You might be shocked at the result!!

Above all, enjoy your build, it's good value in the end......or so I'm told!!

Cheers,
Craig.

undecided - 1/2/05 at 10:02 PM

Piece of mind is somthing that springs to mind, i am happy to do certain things but others i would prefer to buy from known source to ensure safety.
Making your own chassis will not really save any money in the the long run....If we all bought them in it would help keep those firms making them alive.

JoelP - 1/2/05 at 10:15 PM

if i was building a standard chassis i would definately buy it now - next project will be neither standard nor low cost!

craig1410 - 1/2/05 at 10:57 PM

Undecided,
I agree that buying a chassis is probably just as cheap as making one but for me the whole point in making my own chassis is to prove to myself that I can. It is a most satisfying feeling when the car sits on it's own 4 wheels for the first time as many will know.

However, your point about peace of mind is an interesting one. I always in the past have performed all my own vehicle servicing and repairs and I'd say I'm a decent mechanic. However, not so long ago my car needed a new clutch and I couldn't really be bothered with the hassles of crawling around under the car trying to disengage the gearbox from the engine (FWD car) with no lift or ramp etc. It was also in the autumn and quite cold and damp outside and of course the Locost was hogging the garage...
So I entrusted the work to a highly regarded local mechanic with an excellent reputation for quality etc etc. In fact I knew him personally and he is indeed a top bloke.

Anyway, to cut a long story short my Wife picked the car up for me as I wouldn't be home in time for the garage closing and drove the car home 3 or 4 miles with our 3 kids in the back. When I got home she complained about a clunking noise when the car was reversing and I went out to take a look..... As soon as I drove the car backwards I knew exactly what was wrong and indeed to my horror the brake calipers had not been tightened on one side and one bolt had fallen out on the way home and the other was hanging by about 2 threads. The caliper was rattling around inside the wheel which was the cause of the noise. I went to the guys house that evening and lets just say that I got things sorted pretty damn quick. He was genuinely as shocked as I was having entrusted the work to one of his mechanics and being a family friend he too couldn't bear the thought of what might have happened...

Anyway, my point is that an engineering firm is only as good as the quality processes it has and if those processes rely on one guy to tighten a couple of bolts then one day they will be missed. The same is true of welding a chassis and if this is what you do every day of the week then it is impossible to be sure that you welded every joint from all angles on any given chassis hence the need for quality inspections. The problem is that QA inspections cost money and eat into margin. Now I'm not perfect either and I have no Quality guy checking my work but I can just about remember attaching every single tube and because this is not a commercial operation I can go way over the top in terms of checking my own work without worrying about the costs. I also painted my chassis by hand with a brush and in fact found 2 or 3 missed welds during the process. I bet these would have slipped through had the chassis been powder coated as might be the case with a commercial chassis.

Before the commercial chassis' producers jump on me, I am not suggesting that my chassis is better quality than theirs nor am I suggesting that commercial chassis' are dangerous. However, to make money you need to have just enough quality to get the job done without pushing the costs through the roof. On this basis, I know for a fact that my chassis has cost me more than the £600 odd that a commercial one would have cost me.

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 1/2/2005 by craig1410]

dozracing - 2/2/05 at 06:02 AM

Hi Craig,

If you have the required welding skills then i would encourage people to make their own chassis as its enormously rewarding.

I have been encouraging people to make their own versions of mine, or at least to have a go. I think you learn an awful lot and even if you have to give up half way through because you are not happy with the results, and buy a chassis, you still have those new found skills and appreciation for what goes into it.

I think you need suppliers who are proud of the parts they make, then you know they are good quality. Luckily with sportscars the people making them generally have an interest in the parts they make and make a good job.

These days the average mechanic is not a highly qualified school leaver and other than sticking Fast Car stickers on their own Fiestas has no real interest in the work they do.

craig1410 - 2/2/05 at 12:55 PM

Hi Darren,
Yes I agree, I have enjoyed building my chassis hugely (most of the time at least ) and would indeed have built a GTS chassis had the newly released W7DE version been available when I started. I really envy people who are just starting to build now because it must be sooo much easier to know that all the parts are available off the shelf from companies like GTS for those times where your motivation is at a low point and you need to "buy some progress" to gee yourself up a bit.

An example of this being the fact that GTS now supply wider bodywork for those like myself who are building +4" wider chassis. Unfortunately, despite you and I making considerable efforts to drum up enough interest in this a few months ago I ended up buying the narrow bodywork from you and am still in the process of doing a cut 'n' shut on this to fit my chassis. Retrospect is a wonderful thing eh???

Anyway, I think next time I build a car I will start from a chassis and bodywork kit and focus my attention on the constructional aspects. That's the bit I enjoy most.

Cheers,
Craig.