Board logo

Engine Hoist Beam
Arnie - 1/8/12 at 07:38 PM

Looking for some help please.

I am currently building a garage and thought I would take the opportunity to fit a RSJ/Universal beam so that I could fit a hoist for engine removal etc. However not sure what size of beam to order. The choice is a 152/89/16kg per meter or a 203/102/23Kg per meter.

Would appreciate any guidance on the best size.

Thanks.

Regards,

Arnie.

Daddylonglegs - 1/8/12 at 07:46 PM

I'm no structural engineer so might be talking nads, but it might be worth running one front-to-back so you can run a pulley along the car's length.

Just my 2p worth

snapper - 1/8/12 at 08:02 PM

Your not going to lift more than 200Kg so any RSJ will be good enough
I used scaffold poles across wall pillars and short cross beams of scaffold

vanepico - 1/8/12 at 08:17 PM

We've got an old set of swings that I have got my eye on for something like this, it should be able to hold 200kg with a bit of modification, only the bottom bit is rusty

Bearing in mind the ultimate tensile strength of steel is 250MPa I doubt you'll have any trouble, after all, RSJs are designed to hold up tonnes of bricks!

[Edited on 1/8/12 by vanepico]

whitestu - 1/8/12 at 08:42 PM

I used a 4x4 timber A frame to lift my engines in and out so I should think any RSJ will be up to the job!

Stu

phelpsa - 1/8/12 at 09:08 PM

Most I-beam pulley trolley things (I can't remember their real name!) are to suit 102mm wide beams I have found. We have a 203/102 across the width of our double-and-a-bit garage, I've used it to lift pretty much the entire car (400kg ish...).

Fred W B - 2/8/12 at 11:34 AM

more here

Cheers

Fred W b

iank - 2/8/12 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Most I-beam pulley trolley things (I can't remember their real name!) are to suit 102mm wide beams I have found. We have a 203/102 across the width of our double-and-a-bit garage, I've used it to lift pretty much the entire car (400kg ish...).

Close enough for all practical purposes http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=push+beam+trolley

Arnie - 2/8/12 at 09:14 PM

Thanks very much for all the replies much appreciated.

Regards,

Arnie.