Board logo

Internet providers
brynhamlet - 5/7/06 at 09:05 AM

Which internet provider do poeple recommend. I currently use AOL and am sick of being given additional software I don't want. All I want is a basic broadband ISP which gives me access to the web without any frills, i.e. no newspages, advertising pages or anything else.

David Jenkins - 5/7/06 at 09:12 AM

You'll 101 different opinions on this site...

This site might help you to make your mind up.

HTH

David

bob - 5/7/06 at 09:14 AM

I'm just about to leave AOL and go with talk talk inclusive phone deal,i'm not that bothered if its as bad as AOL its the fact i will not be paying £17.99 for a bad ISP.

I'll put a report in once its all up and running

I have noticed a lot of people now using plusnet just for connection if that helps.
http://www.plus.net/index.html?pn_session=571d373608c7de00158f56ffcf43d5bd

David Jenkins - 5/7/06 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bob

I have noticed a lot of people now using plusnet just for connection if that helps.
http://www.plus.net/index.html?pn_session=571d373608c7de00158f56ffcf43d5bd

That's who I'm with - not bad service, they're totally open on service status when there are problems, and e-mail support is excellent (usual premium rate voice support unfortunately, but I've never needed to use that).

David

Stuart Walker - 5/7/06 at 11:36 AM

Yep, PlusNet are good. They keep upgrading our connection too, apparently it will be up to 8megs soon... only paying for 2!

David Jenkins - 5/7/06 at 11:55 AM

Except that Plusnet have suspended the speed upgrades, as BT's self-adjusting management software doesn't... adjust, that is. Some people have ended up with worse performance than they had before the 'upgrade' They've had so many complaints that they've stopped upgrades until BT gets their act together.

Not the ISP's fault of course - they're in the same boat as all the others - and I've heard complaints from many other sources.

David

Stuart Ainslie - 5/7/06 at 01:29 PM

I use MetroNet who are now part of the PlusNet group.
Never had an issue since day 1.

britishtrident - 5/7/06 at 01:37 PM

Up to a couple of months back I would recommended Zen, once off the BT part of the link they have decent bandwidth for thier main internet backbone so unlike some other providers this tends not to cause a bottle neck at peak times.

I am currently with Zetnet who are very nice people but are getting left behind a bit by the big internet providers.

Orange have a lot of very happy customers but watch out when they impose useage limits on the unlimited service but this onlyy affects very few band width hoggers.

donut - 5/7/06 at 03:35 PM

I'm with BT and it's been 100% great (touch wood) but i have heard others having problems. I think alot is to do with how close you are to the exchange.

britishtrident - 5/7/06 at 05:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
I'm with BT and it's been 100% great (touch wood) but i have heard others having problems. I think alot is to do with how close you are to the exchange.

Trouble with BT is the Yahoo tie up, BT Broadband were great until they became BT Yahoo

Confused but excited. - 5/7/06 at 08:00 PM

I use Onetel. £19.99 per month. No limits and when you call them someone answers straight away. No premium rate charges for technical help either, just normal rate. If you have the right 0800 number then it's free.
I am well happy with them. No problems no hassles.

Hellfire - 5/7/06 at 08:27 PM

I'm with TISCALI at te moment... decent provider, occasional slow down's but on the whole very good. No software to fart around with either.

Getting shut of AOL's System on a previous install is a massive nightmare. I ended up reformatting to stop it messing around with a whole host of other programs... consequently I would never even consider recommending them!

Steve

big_wasa - 5/7/06 at 08:35 PM

Tiscali for me to. No probs.

Ive just added a router and it seems that when its been connected for a few hours it grinds ow so slow . If I reboot it speeds up again ?

dudek - 6/7/06 at 05:51 PM

just changed from plusnet cos the service was poor and kept getting warnings for using over 15gig bandwidth a month(on an unlimited service!!!!!) now happy with freedom2surf on an 8mb connection for the same money,go to adsl guide.org they rate who is good an who is not