Board logo

Fitting a windscreen
The Baron - 27/4/09 at 10:42 AM

I have managed to bend the windscreen support brackets to the profile of my scuttle and secure them.

What is the best method to fit the windscreen to the support brackets, self tapping screens? M3 screws or similar ? How many of them Etc.

What’s the best method?
Cheers,

B

YQUSTA - 27/4/09 at 11:06 AM

I drilled and tapped 3x M3's down each pillar on my screen.

RK - 27/4/09 at 12:10 PM

Ditto.

I had a very hard time putting the bottom on the top part on mine, but getting it to attach to the stanchions was fine.

locoluego - 27/4/09 at 05:18 PM

same here, didnt realise how much work was involved!! after a few hours getting the bottom rail of the frame mitred to fit the top rail and cutting both to length, i have decided to buy black pu adhesive to glue the glass to the ally frame instead of using the rubber strip (to much pressing force reqd). th side frames were bent in at the front to allow the frames to follow the same profile as the scuttle then drilled and tapped the frame to suit m4 stainless steel button heads remember though to align the frame of the windscreen to the front of the side frames so if your putting doors on you can screw the hinges to the back of the side frames

locoluego - 27/4/09 at 05:20 PM

sorry forgot to say 3 per side

RK - 28/4/09 at 12:02 PM

Having seen what the PU adhesive does, I would avoid that. Stick with the rubber strip. It can really look bad.

locoluego - 28/4/09 at 06:14 PM

what do you mean?? doese it react with the glass??

RK - 28/4/09 at 10:22 PM

No it just looks crap. I won't mention any names, but there are reasons for using the rubber stuff, instead of the PU. Won't it slide on with soapy water on the frame/rubber contact side?