Board logo

carbon fibre cycle wings
jedi - 5/5/09 at 09:24 PM

im after some carbon fibre cycle wings to suit 185 tyres i know the usual suspects any other suggestions cheers

daniel mason - 5/5/09 at 09:43 PM

not sure if carbonmods are one of your usual suspects but their csr style arch is nice! not cheap though

omega0684 - 5/5/09 at 10:32 PM

there was a chap on here the other day selling a pair for about £90, i think it was that guy from greece, he's a registered trader on here but i don't know his name, someone else might though, would be worth a u2u to him.

daniel mason - 5/5/09 at 10:35 PM

his username is Echinda

RK - 5/5/09 at 11:10 PM

Mr henderson may be another. I have some from CarbonMods, but honestly, unless you are close up, they look like black GRP. Of course, they weigh nothing if that's what you need; so does your wallet afterwards.

Echidna - 6/5/09 at 05:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
his username is Echinda

Echidna is the right word. I know it's a bit difficult to spell for people not speaking Greek. And yes, i can make carbon fiber wings, in real carbon and only. All layers are carbon fiber and not any cheap fiberglass layers inside where they cannot be seen. Just U2U me for any details and questions. Thanks!

britishtrident - 6/5/09 at 07:04 AM

Actually using glass (and/or kevlar) layers in the laminate is a superior method to carbon fibre alone--- carbon fibre is very brittle.

Steve Hignett - 6/5/09 at 08:23 AM

And when combined with Pre-Preg Carbon in a pre-preg part, the Pre-Preg 'Glass is almost the same price!

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Actually using glass (and/or kevlar) layers in the laminate is a superior method to carbon fibre alone--- carbon fibre is very brittle.

SteveWalker - 6/5/09 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Echidna

Echidna is the right word. I know it's a bit difficult to spell for people not speaking Greek.

Funnily enough I didn't realise that Echidna was a Greek word, as I know it as the name of the Australian Spiny Anteater - sort of like an egg-laying hedgehog!

SteveW

goaty - 6/5/09 at 08:56 AM

Echidna, can you get back to me please letting me know whats happening with the bits i have been chasing??
thanks

Echidna - 6/5/09 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:

Echidna is the right word. I know it's a bit difficult to spell for people not speaking Greek.

Funnily enough I didn't realise that Echidna was a Greek word, as I know it as the name of the Australian Spiny Anteater - sort of like an egg-laying hedgehog!

SteveW

Yes, originally Echidna is a monster from Greek mythology. It was called the mother of all monsters. You can read more here:

http://www.loggia.com/myth/echidna.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna_(mythology)

[Edited on 6/5/09 by Echidna]

Echidna - 6/5/09 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by goaty
Echidna, can you get back to me please letting me know whats happening with the bits i have been chasing??
thanks

You have a U2U

jollygreengiant - 6/5/09 at 09:29 AM

Also keep in mind that when animals were being named, originally, they tended to use either greek or latin names so that they sounded impresive.

goaty - 6/5/09 at 10:01 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by goaty
thanks

You have a U2U

Back at you, thanks for speedy reply.

tadltd - 7/5/09 at 11:35 PM

See this thread for another option:

LINKY

Echidna - 8/5/09 at 08:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Carbon parts are considered brittle when they are not properly made. Carbon is brittle but only when it finally breaks. If a cabon part is properly made it will break "in a brittle fashion" but it will take lots of effort until then. Carbon has taken this bad name because of unproper for it methods of manufacturing where the final part is resin rich. This is the simple wet layup technique. When the part is made by vacuum techniques (vacuum bagging or infusion) it is way stronger than the same part made in simple wet layup. Adding a layer of fiberglass will not change anything in the final part mechanics, the best effect it will probably have will be to add some extra bucks to the manufacturer's pocket...

It is really awesome to see the difference in strength for a part made with vacuum consolidation to a part made in wet layup. As is awesome the difference between vacuum consolidation and autoclave prepreg.

[Edited on 8/5/09 by Echidna]