Board logo

Interesting bikes for £1500-£2000?
flak monkey - 9/2/11 at 04:08 PM

I am selling my SV650 as I fancy something bigger

I dont mind it being faired or not.

Been looking at 1200 bandits, naked ones from around 2001-2002. Which just fall in my price bracket. I prefer the stripped, streetfighter sort of look. Insurance is cheap on them too considering they are a big engined bike.

I also looked at the TL1000S but the insurance was too much. Honda VFR's are also looking a possibility, but low miles ones are hard to come by.

Anyone got any other suggestions for big (800+cc) engined bikes around that sort of money? Not interested in sports bikes, so nothing like that please!

MakeEverything - 9/2/11 at 04:15 PM

Bandit 12 is a good bike, as is the GSX1400, though the GSX is more of a cult bike than the GSF, so tend to be more expensive for the finer examples.

TLS1000 is based / has the same engine as "The Widowmaker" (TLR) which i used to have and they can be very raw, hence the insurance hike.

VFR is a good bike and good all round and the additional capacity of the 800 is supposed to be noticeable.

How about a second hand honda shadow or yamaha virago until your build is finished?

hth.

flibble - 9/2/11 at 04:19 PM

Streetfightered early fireblade was the most fun of all my bikes, comfy if needed, mental if asked
Cheap, easy to get spares for and feels less cumbersome IMHO compared with bandits etc..

flak monkey - 9/2/11 at 04:20 PM

Thanks

I plan to keep the bike as my work hack, so even when the build has finished I'll be keeping another normal bike.

My understanding was that the TLS spawned the TLR - the TLS being released in 97 and the R in 98. And the TLS is the one that got the reputation. The TLR was slightly detuned (down to 120bhp from 128bhp) because of the reputation the S got

I hadnt considered the GSX1400 and I dont know what the insurance would be like, can check them out though.

MakeEverything - 9/2/11 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Thanks

I plan to keep the bike as my work hack, so even when the build has finished I'll be keeping another normal bike.

My understanding was that the TLS spawned the TLR - the TLS being released in 97 and the R in 98. And the TLS is the one that got the reputation. The TLR was slightly detuned (down to 120bhp from 128bhp) because of the reputation the S got

I hadnt considered the GSX1400 and I dont know what the insurance would be like, can check them out though.

Yes i think youre right, i might have it the wrong way around. Either way, a bit of a handful for a commuter.

This was mine;

kipper - 9/2/11 at 05:09 PM

I have an early fireblade with brand new fairings fitted in urban tiger colours for sale.
As for insurance you can get it on classic bike insurance very cheaply.
Denis.

flak monkey - 9/2/11 at 05:20 PM

Any pics?

Andy W - 9/2/11 at 05:35 PM

If you like the street fighter look, how about a Triumph Speed Triple.
It looks better than a bandit, I think

Andy

cd.thomson - 9/2/11 at 05:49 PM

you wont get a triple for £1500-2000.

Have a look at the triumph speed four

RazMan - 9/2/11 at 05:53 PM

What about a Honda Goldwing? I am a fan of the Aspencade but the GL1100 is within your budget - quite addictive in a laid back kind of way

[Edited on 9-2-11 by RazMan]

Andy W - 9/2/11 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
you wont get a triple for £1500-2000.

Have a look at the triumph speed four

I think you can, I bought one

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=130415

Andy

StevieB - 9/2/11 at 06:06 PM

As an alternative to a big naked bike, and since you're building the chopper with the vast motor anyway, how about something along the lines of a trail bike or supermoto?

You should be able to get your hands on a KTM Duke or SM for your budget

owelly - 9/2/11 at 06:07 PM

Ahem....!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=149944

franky - 9/2/11 at 07:11 PM

The TLS came first with about 120bhp and lots of low down grunt. The TLR came after with more power about 130bhp however the lower gears were restricted (1st/2nd).

If you're after something interested and something to cut your teeth on before you get the project on the road it would make sense to get a big twin as you can get use to the engine configuration.

MakeEverything - 9/2/11 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Ahem....!

Soooo tempted by the VTR.

The TL1000R i had was fitted with a TRE which eliminated the restriction on the first two gears.

flak monkey - 9/2/11 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Ahem....!

Interested in the VTR if my SV sells any time soon. No telling though!

scootz - 10/2/11 at 09:07 AM

Still think these are fab (ZX-7R)!

Steve Hignett - 10/2/11 at 09:13 AM

You won't be losing money on an early Blade nowadays, so if the one from the guy above is in good condition it would be the one I'd choose out of all lsuggested so far!

CraigJ - 10/2/11 at 07:22 PM

Yamaha XJR 1200/1300
Kawasaki ZRX 1100/1200

Or i have a GSXR 600 SRAD for sale if your interested.....

Craig.

franky - 10/2/11 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Still think these are fab (ZX-7R)!

Can't go wrong, I've had a few 7r's an 7rr's and always regret selling them.

flak monkey - 10/2/11 at 07:34 PM

Ninjas and Bandits are too sports bike looking to my tastes I am afraid.

The XJR 1200 is a nice looking bike though.

r1_pete - 10/2/11 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Ninjas and Bandits are too sports bike looking to my tastes I am afraid.

The XJR 1200 is a nice looking bike though.

That was my view until I rode a sportsbike, had many now, and think the Fireblade and R1 ar best in my opinion, if you get the chance try one.

CraigJ - 10/2/11 at 07:47 PM

The XJR's are a nice bike to ride. very comfy. Just dont expect sport bike handling though. They do shift well though. Cheap to insure also. Two friends both have XJR 1300's so i bought a Z750 lol.

flak monkey - 12/2/11 at 10:09 AM

Ok, ended up with this, should be picking it up next weekend. Traded the SV for what I was selling for privately.

Another bleedin' yellow one!

jacko - 12/2/11 at 11:23 AM

Nice i wish i had passed my bike test now im to OLD
Jacko

flak monkey - 12/2/11 at 11:29 AM

Should be a bit of a handful. Looking forward to taking it up the road. Oh and the noise...

And no, you are never too old!

franky - 12/2/11 at 12:49 PM

Good choice, a semi sports bike.... don't dip your toe too far in the water or you may have to alter your build

Peteff - 12/2/11 at 03:37 PM

Don't plan any long runs on it, you'll be lucky to get 120 miles to a tank Nice bikes though.

rodgling - 12/2/11 at 05:19 PM

You missed out on this - a bit out of your budget but it looks like a laugh:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2072248.htm

Obviously you'd probably not last a week, but you'd have fun while it lasted.

flak monkey - 12/2/11 at 08:57 PM

I only get 140miles out of a tank on the SV so its not that much of a problem Most of my riding is back and forward to work which is only a 35 mile round trip.

The bikes got a few extras on it. Lower fairing, Pazzo levers, Mircon cans, hugger, seat cowl (not in pic) and iridium screen. I think the screen will have to be changed for a plain black one, not a fan of the iridium look!

I'll probably swap out the brake lines for braided and a few other bits. All in all it looks like its a well looked after bike. Got lots of receipts for various work its had done over the years.

Apparently the cam chain tensioners are a problem, so I'll be checking them out fairly quickly. And the reg/rec is a known issue (cook themselves), so I will be swapping that for an R1 or similar.

Mr Whippy - 12/2/11 at 09:31 PM

If find sports bikes so very uncomfortable on long runs, that's why I now have a cruiser with a big windscreen which is just fab to anywhere with.

Fuel tank range is a bit of a worry with the bigger engined bikes and a friend who has a 1200 naked bike is now sell it for a full faring one as he's practically getting blown off it by the wind above 80mph

Another thing is my bike is shaft drive and there is no way I'll go back to chains as they are such a PITA

[Edited on 12/2/11 by Mr Whippy]

flak monkey - 12/2/11 at 09:50 PM

Thats why I didnt want a sports bike. I dont like the riding position at all. But I didnt want a tourer or cruiser either for my daily bike. The riding position is pretty comfy on the VTR, bars are a lot higher than a sports bike.

Modern chains arent that much of a problem. I adjusted my SV chain once in 3000miles, checked every week but never needed adjusting. Use dry lube and every 500miles give it a squirt, no mess. Sorted. That said it might need adjusting more regularly on the VTR!