Board logo

Homebrew Angle Grinder Chop saw
benjamman - 11/5/09 at 09:47 PM

i found this on instructables thought it was good, an i dont think it would be all that hard to modify to cut angles.
i know proper ones can be bought, i just thought it would be fun to make

instructables_link

Land Locked - 11/5/09 at 09:55 PM

It needs some kind of guard over the blade.

That said I cut cleaner and more accurate cuts with the 115mm and a 1mm blade than I do with the comercial cut off saw.

balidey - 11/5/09 at 10:10 PM

I'm all for saving money, but sod that, I'd happily spend some cash to get a proper one

Badger_McLetcher - 11/5/09 at 10:15 PM

Gotta love instructables

splitrivet - 11/5/09 at 11:25 PM

Gimme a break.
Cheers,
Bob

iank - 11/5/09 at 11:31 PM

Looks better (i.e. stronger) than most of the cheap angle grinder to chop saw adaptors. Not as good as a proper chop saw, but then again a decent bandsaw better if you can afford one and have the space.

MikeRJ - 11/5/09 at 11:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Looks better (i.e. stronger) than most of the cheap angle grinder to chop saw adaptors.

I agree, and a lot less slop in door hinges than the comically badly machined pivots on the commercial ones. I spent a couple of hours shimming mine up to make it cut straight and used it a few times, but it's been sat in a pile of scrap metal for the past couple of years.

aerosam - 12/5/09 at 08:29 AM

unless you spend silly money, i've found the majority of abrasive type cut off saws couldn't cut butter straight. The Evolution rage series saws with their tct blades cut much better, although the blades are expensive and the clamps to hold the workpiece down are not strong enough.

iank is right, bandsaws are much better, if you have the money and the space.

BenB - 12/5/09 at 02:44 PM

If you do make it just remember to put the telephone number for the ambulance service into speed-dial and practice dialing the phone using your pecker for when you chop all your fingers off

splitrivet - 12/5/09 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
If you do make it just remember to put the telephone number for the ambulance service into speed-dial and practice dialing the phone using your pecker for when you chop all your fingers off

Is that a bit like using a Dictaphone.
Cheers,
Bob

MikeRJ - 12/5/09 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Do you think it's more dangerous than the commercial ones then? It's probably a darn sight safer actually.

Fred W B - 12/5/09 at 05:27 PM

I think its crap - with that diameter blade you are not going to be able to cut anything of any size, and how is the workpiece held in position?

Cheers

Fred W b

benjamman - 12/5/09 at 05:54 PM

i love this its like throwing stones into a pond and watching the ripples, as you all argue over just how crap an unsafe it is, guess there's nothing like thinking outside the box. hahaha